Cross country trip. Reman Goodwrench engine 1k ago. P0300 and other things to go over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 97 K1500. The most insane idea that I have ever had putting an engine in a truck by myself is meeting another crazy idea. Just looking for advice for what I should check before I hit the road.

Has a rebuilt tranny.

When I did the engine I put in the following new parts in.

Plugs/Wires
Distributor
Hoses
Radiator
Timing cover
Replaced spiders with new MPFI injectors
Oil Cooler lines
Followed torque specs

I have been checking fluids religiously and things look good. No signs of any leaks anywhere and the oil is staying at the same level every time.

Known issues:
It runs well but has an issue where it will miss a little on start up every once and awhile but then it runs fine after while idling and driving. It is not something you can replicate easily because 95% of the time it starts normal. I have a P0300 code that you can clear out, but it comes back after 50 or so miles most of the time.

Brakes are pulsating under heavy braking and my parking brake light is on. So those are on my list. Not sure what the light is on for.

What else should I be looking at to make sure it will be able to take this trip?

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
The pulsating is most likely your ABS kicking on . the parking brake light could be a number of issues as simple as your parking braking set down a tad to disable the DRLs to something actually wrong with the ABS system.

The P0300 have any other effects other than just the CEL coming on?

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you put the new distributor in, did you check the cmp retard?

Dielectic grease on all electrical connections?

Cleaned up the ground straps?

Just a few ideas that might help...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a scan tool that is capable of displaying cylinder-specific misfire?

Crappy scan tools display P0300 when the REAL code could be P0301--P0308.

If you can narrow down which cylinder(s) are misfiring, rather than accepting "random" misfire, you're miles ahead.

Find a SAFE place (Parking lot in the middle of the night with no other traffic?) and kick the park brake pedal. Push it hard...but not so hard you lock the rear wheels. If you feel pulsation, the problem is likely in the rear brakes. If you don't, it's probably up front.

ABS makes this more difficult to pin down, but ABS pulsation "feels" and sounds different from warped rotors or distorted brake drums most of the time.

Reaction score
So update. Checked it today and I have P0300 P0155 and P0420. I seem to remember that an 02 sensor was unplugged when I replaced the engine and I plugged it back in. Anyone have any idea if they might be related?