crew cab build help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tims4x4

Reaction score
thanks 96k1500 for your help maybe draggin will read my post and reply back later thanks again

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
new to this form and glad to find it been trying to find out how to convert a ext. cab to crew cab for a long time found this site this weekend got some questions any help would be great i have a 1994 ext. 4x4 and have bought a 99 crew cab but has no interior and one rear door will a surburban back doors work and will the dash from the 94 work and will a bench seat from a standard cab work for a back seat and what kind of drive shaft do i need to find thanks
Hello, first off yes you can put the older dash in the 99 but you have to drill out all the spot weld's the hold the steering column mounting bracket on and swap in the 88-94 bracket in to your 99 cab, next yes suburban door's fit on a crew cab, but you can not convert the rear door's like you can the front's to any year, in other word's you can not install 92-94 door panel's on 95+ rear door's or vice versa, you have to use the year door's that match the style interior you want. Like I alreay mentioned all the year's front door's can be interchanged. Also lastly yes a standard bench seat will fit in the back of the crew cab. I hope this help's you out.

tims4x4

Reaction score
thanks draggin that helps alot so on the back door panels in need to find a set of doors and panels for a 1994 or earlier surburban or a nother crew cab to match front interior and what kind of driver shaft should i look for or have one made i sure appreciate the your help you've made this seem alot easier project than i originally thought it was going to be

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
You may be able to use a shaft from ext cab long bed or have yours lengthened? Not sure how draggin does it

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well on a 4wd I am not sure, I would have to get it all together and measure from there, we have done done 1 crew cab 4wd swap but it did not have a drivetrain in it when it left here for me to measure off of.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I would personally keep the one ton and shorten the frame and put the shortbed on it!

I agree with this statement. If you want a softer ride just swap in the springs from the 1500 donor. Im assuming the truck you are wanting to convert is the white Z71 correct? Is the 1 ton a Diesel like it is? If not i would say swap over the engine and trans as well then. As for the diffs. the 1 ton uses a larger diff and has different mounting points in the chassis so the 1500 diff will not work in that chassis.

Tinason

Reaction score
Thanks Darkrider. Yes i want to put the crew on the z71 diesel and make a highway cruiser for work and family. It has higher gearing than the 1 tons 4:10. That is a very important detail in this build......I want the highway gearing. I will still use my 2500 for any pulling and work. I want a lighter truck and a one with at least 2:73 gearing. Thats why the 1 ton will be seeing the wrecker after I remove all the parts I require. I think stretching the frame 13" is a lot easier than playing with all the different dimensions between 1500 and 3500 trucks.
On a different note, i have picked up a fully loaded suburban for next to nothing...motor blown...which im going to use the complete leather interior for in my truck. Does anyone know if a sun roof from a 2000 suburban fit a 96....seems like a nice option to have...and would be the time to do it!

tims4x4

Reaction score
where is a web site to look for crew cab cabs for sale or salvage yards thanks