Cracked 1989 Frame Options- with pictures!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thisguy68

Reaction score
Hey all, just wanted to hear some advice about a cracked frame. The top of the bed is touching the cab on both sides so I don't know if it can be repaired with plate or a weld. Looking for feedback from anyone who has had this type of problem or experience repairing. The truck is only used to plow my 1000' driveway so I'm not sure if I should try and get some money out of the plow part, ignore it until it cracks in two or try and repair. I know I should just find a healthy frame but that isn't much of an option right now (for a plow truck in the middle of winter). Thanks for any input.

You must be registered for see images attach

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you weld? If so get the frame straight, drill a hole at the top of the crack(that will prevent the crack from spreading). Weld the crack back together and fish plate over top of it.

GMstrong

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how does the rest of the frame look?might not even be worth it.The metal doesn't even look strong enough to get a good weld on it.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Seeing how the bottom "rail" of the c channel is nearly nonexistant, thats terminal. No way to fix it in such a way that it will be permanent or rowdworthy ever again.

Now, if its only going to ride your driveway grab a couple jacks, some plate and start stitching.

It will break again, but for a plow truck that never leaves the driveway it really doesn't matter much.

It will eventually break in half if you do nothing with it. By the looks of it, that will be pretty soon....

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cracked? Hate to see what you consider broken! Just kiddin.

If all you use it for is plowing your driveway then I would do as mentioned and jack it up and weld some plate to it. Pretty rusty but a grinder or wire wheel should clean it up enough for a stick welder to work.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Definitely repairable for using to plow your driveway. I would recommend repairing it ASAP, I would hate to see it break in two and damage a brake line or gas line in the process.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's never going to leave your driveway just fishplate it and don't bother trying to weld that. Not enough good steel there to get a good weld.