Correct trans fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The guy at Autozone told me dex 6 n they only had full synthetic..the trans is Rebuilt n the guy before me put some fluid in but i dint know what cause he passed n never drove it yet...i hope i didnt screw it up ??i only put 1 gal so far cause im trying to figure out how mych he had
Dex VI is basically just synthetic Dex III. If you don't know what's in there now, I would just be adding in Valvoline MaxLife ATF. It is compatible with either and meets the Dex VI spec. You can get it much cheaper at Walmart than you can from the auto parts store.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$24/gal at walmart compared to $36/gal at Autozone.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvolin...GZoVvOtpVfDcSi_vFSztTHjWXrPpBSchoCHh8QAvD_BwE

I've also used the ACDelco Dex VI in my 2011 Suburban 6L80 with no issues. It is hit or miss on pricing.. I only bought the ACDelco because I was able to get it for $24/gal on Amazon and the Maxlife was out of stock everywhere. Now it's $40+/gal for the ACDelco and you can get the Maxlife or just regular Valvoline Dex VI for $30/gal and prime delivery to your door.

Edit: apparently the Forum doesn't like the amazon links right now... you can search for Valvoline Dextron VI or "Maxlife ATF" and find them pretty quick

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Edit: apparently the Forum doesn't like the amazon links right now... you can search for Valvoline Dextron VI or "Maxlife ATF" and find them pretty quick

Try posting them without the "https://" at the beginning of the URL. Start at the "www." If you don't they get converted to an image link that triggers most ad-block software, and will appear invisible to anyone running such software.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I only run DexIII, I ran the DexVI for about 10-15 miles once, but my 4L85E did not like it, I removed a cooler line and flushed 4 gallons of DexIII through it and it went back to its normal old clunky self. With the Dex VI in it, it was shift flaring and felt like it was going to slip itself to death in a short period of time.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of ENGINES and into "Transmissions".

I only run DexIII, I ran the DexVI for about 10-15 miles once, but my 4L85E did not like it, I removed a cooler line and flushed 4 gallons of DexIII through it and it went back to its normal old clunky self. With the Dex VI in it, it was shift flaring and felt like it was going to slip itself to death in a short period of time.
Does that vehicle have shift adaption strategy functional in the computer?

Wondering if the thinner Dex VI would have changed the shift adaption if you'd left it in there for a few more miles.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of ENGINES and into "Transmissions".

Does that vehicle have shift adaption strategy functional in the computer?

Wondering if the thinner Dex VI would have changed the shift adaption if you'd left it in there for a few more miles.

Shift adaption is still there. It may have, but I did not want to risk slipping clutches. I have heard a lot of people say the Dex VI makes their transmission shift smoother too. That is the exact opposite of what you want for transmission life. The OEMs already calibrate them too soft and lazy for optimal clutch life as it is.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soft shifts prolong the service life of splines, gears, (including rear axle spines 'n' gears) needle bearings, u-joints, etc. Manufacturers of harsh "shift kits" such as B&M spout a lot of propaganda about shift firmness and clutch life, but clutches are dirt cheap (and practically sacrificial) compared to "hard parts" that get shock-loaded.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My 4l80e has Supertech Dex3 in it, bought 10+ years ago....bought too much the first time I needed it. I might still have a partial gallon left. I should probably change it again this summer.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The guy at Autozone told me dex 6 n they only had full synthetic..the trans is Rebuilt n the guy before me put some fluid in but i dint know what cause he passed n never drove it yet...i hope i didnt screw it up ??i only put 1 gal so far cause im trying to figure out how mych he had
ATF Is backwards compatible so putting Dex 6 in is not a problem.