Correct trans fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Both of my '97s have been running Dexron 6 in the transmissions for a few years now and I've had no issues. 4L60E and 4L80E respectively.

gmtruckwoman1

Reaction score
Dex VI is basically just synthetic Dex III. If you don't know what's in there now, I would just be adding in Valvoline MaxLife ATF. It is compatible with either and meets the Dex VI spec. You can get it much cheaper at Walmart than you can from the auto parts store.
Thank you..Only problem is i put a gallon of the frame dex 6 synthetic on before i saw reply(my friend bought it for me n thats what they had a auto store 38.99 gal) .I want to buy some more fluid today n i know i cant go back from synthetic to reg correct.. ??
Damn this shouldn't be so hard...lol....i personally wouldn't have bought synthetic..i always buy ac delco now im so confused on what to grab n i believe i need 6..8 quarts...im assuming i need to get dex 6 synthetic now...if so it wont be frame...??

gmtruckwoman1

Reaction score
Dex VI is basically just synthetic Dex III. If you don't know what's in there now, I would just be adding in Valvoline MaxLife ATF. It is compatible with either and meets the Dex VI spec. You can get it much cheaper at Walmart than you can from the auto parts store.
Is max life atf synthetic..? I assuming once u put synthetic u cant go back to teg trans fluid?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is max life atf synthetic..? I assuming once u put synthetic u cant go back to teg trans fluid?
You can either stick with Dex6 or flush it out and use regular Dex/Merc which is Dex3 equivalent.

To be honest, not sure there's any harm to mixing/matching as Dex6 is backwards compatible but perhaps a transmission fluid chemical engineer or SME can confirm or deny for sure (perhaps even an indepth google search will also do same).

gmtruckwoman1

Reaction score
You can either stick with Dex6 or flush it out and use regular Dex/Merc which is Dex3 equivalent.

To be honest, not sure there's any harm to mixing/matching as Dex6 is backwards compatible but perhaps a transmission fluid chemical engineer or SME can confirm or deny for sure (perhaps even an indepth google search will also do same).
So dex 6 synthetic wont hurt it..cause it was Rebuilt but has no miles on it cause the guy passed away at 62 after he put it in n worked on truck ...I put 4 in already n he had some kind in too..not much i guess i will stay with it...im working on thos on the ground n im too old to getting into draining it in driveway ..lol..

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you..Only problem is i put a gallon of the frame dex 6 synthetic on before i saw reply(my friend bought it for me n thats what they had a auto store 38.99 gal) .I want to buy some more fluid today n i know i cant go back from synthetic to reg correct.. ??
Damn this shouldn't be so hard...lol....i personally wouldn't have bought synthetic..i always buy ac delco now im so confused on what to grab n i believe i need 6..8 quarts...im assuming i need to get dex 6 synthetic now...if so it wont be frame...??
1. I have no idea what you mean by "frame".

2. You know what fluid you already installed. Get a few more quarts. ANY Dexron VI-J should be mixable into any other Dexron VI-J fluid. This is not rocket surgery.

3. I have no idea why you couldn't mix Dex/Merc (Dexron III-H equivalent) into a gallon of Dexron VI-J; provided you treat the result as Dexron III-H in terms of service life. OTOH, I've never purchased Dexron VI-J, so I have zero experience with it. None of my vehicles are new enough to need Dex VI-J.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What bothers me is everyone keeps saying synthetic with the transmission fluid. Y'all do know there's not an oil well in the world that pumps out transmission fluid. It's all synthetic every drop.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What bothers me is everyone keeps saying synthetic with the transmission fluid. Y'all do know there's not an oil well in the world that pumps out transmission fluid. It's all synthetic every drop.
No. Most of it was based on refined crude oil, with different additives from engine oil, and a bunch of red dye.

For that matter, most "synthetic" motor oil (Group III) for sale in the USA is refined crude oil, labeled as "Synthetic" due to a dumbass judge overseeing a court case of Mobil Oil vs. Castrol; and the Judge screwed-up--Castrol won. This "synthetic" oil can't be sold as Synthetic in Europe, but Americans can be misled legally.

REAL Synthetic oil (Group IV) is relatively scarce on the shelves.