Compressors..I'm in the market

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I picked up an old compressor for free that didn't run. Its an electric on wheels 25 gallon, 175PSI Craftsman pro. The thing wont run, probably the switch, and its pretty beat up.

Without thinking of rebuilding the piston and its seals, the electric switch and some missing parts is going to cost around $200 from what I can tell.
So the question is, do I fix it for buy something new?
I don't want to 'fix' it to just fail further down the line and end up costing more than the theoretical maintenance free new one for equivalent money

You must be registered for see images

I've seen some decent deals on everything from Harbor Freight, to Home Depot/Lowes, Sears and Amazon

My use case: Working on my truck[grinding, cutting, possibly painting this beat up old thing], doing home repairs[I need a roof done], and what nearly anything else including bringing, loaning it out to friends and family.

What are the good brands out there, what size should I really be looking for?
I am currently starting from scratch with air tools, I will need hoses and tools. I've received some hand me downs from friends so I have an impact and cut off wheel. I will be looking for 90* die grinders and ratchets, some air tips and other various things.

I'm a tech nerd by day who wants to become a secret mechanic on the weekends

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like a really nice compressor, personally I would try to fix it but I like doing stuff like that. Do just what it needs to get it going to try out before doing a complete rebuild....

As far as air tools I have quite a few from harbor freight an they work great. For the weekend/occasional mechanic you can't beat them IMO...

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
If you're wanting to run air tools you will need AT LEAST a 30 gal tank running over 6 cfm. Now, that will get the job done, but the compressor will be playing catch up all the time when running anything that sucks the air, ie. air grinders, air sanders, impact guns, etc. Here's one at Lowe's that I would consider. I have the Kobalt 30 gal version, splash oil lubrication, and runs around 5.5-6.0 cfm @ 90. The Kobalt compressor in the link below will run almost double that at 90 psi. I've had no trouble with mine over the last 2 1/2 years. I've run impacts, grinders, air ratchets, and all sort of things with it. Do I wish I had a bigger compressor? Sometimes. But I got it for around $225 on sale and couldn't pass it up.

Even if you don't go with this particular version MAKE SURE you look at a few things.

1. The psi @ 90. A lot of companies will advertise a certain cfm @ 120-150 psi = no good. You want the cfm output rated @ 90.

2. Obviously splash oil lube. Don't even think about an oil-less compressor. They sound like a tommy gun when they're running and the lifespan = ****.

3. If you can afford it go with a dual or twin stage pump. The recovery time will be cut in half, at least. These are much more expensive than a single stage, but if you need a constant air flow no matter what, there is no substitute. There is probably something I'm forgetting but I'm sure they will be others that comment. There are a lot of good companies out there. Good luck.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_54284-1126-...p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=Kobalt

Last edited:

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That good information so far. I've been looking at products, their numbers, and keeping in mind what I need to do. It's a good start as far as my research goes for the day.

The 60 gallon ones might be over the top for me BUT that would be a one time purchase for if I ever would need to grow out of a smaller one.
I feel having one on wheels could be more useful as far as being able to drag it out the house. but I've seen that people do a lot of copper piping around their garage/work area for various hookup locations and what not. That looks very useful as far as the stationary ones go.

As far as fixing the craftsman one: I'm not too thrilled with the requirement of using the sears parts to fix thing. I'd be more than happy to find a standard psi regulator and power switch instead of what they offer for 3 times the price. This is something I would like to look into for other brands.

Of course I don't expect my limited use to kill what ever I purchase/fix up very often

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Wasn't sure if you were looking for something portable or not. Another thing to consider is power requirements. Some of the 60 gal compressors run off of 220v, not 110v. As I said, mines a 30 gal and it's on wheels. It does make it easier, as I've needed to do a few things in the backyard and was glad I had portability (could have run multiple hoses though). It all comes down to what you need now and what you might need in the future.