Complete rebuild question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve got a 1998 GMC Yukon 4dr 4wd. Does anyone know how old it needs to be before I can basically gut out all the electronics, computer, airbags, gauges, motor and trans and build it the way I want to, all analog, but still street legal. Basically a newer style body with an old heart. The pic below is kinda how I’m envisioning it, the dash anyways...
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here in UT, any vehicle 30 years or older can be registered as a “vintage” vehicle. This gives the vehicle an emissions exemption, and starting this year there is no more required safety inspection either. At that point, you can do almost whatever you want. The caveat is that while it’s not a requirement for registration, the same regulations still apply and you can still be cited for safety violations.

Being that your Tahoe is a 1998, there is very heavy PCM involvement in almost every system in the vehicle. Not saying it can’t all be removed and converted back to mechanical/manual systems, it will just take more work.

I’m gearing up to take the TBI system out of my 1990 K2500 and install a Fitech fuel injection system. I’d be taking a chance for emissions inspection that the inspection station doesn’t notice that the EGR system is gone. It will still have a catalytic converter until it’s fully exempt so it should still pass the tailpipe test.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is going to be one of those things that's highly dependent on your local laws. Here in MO the deadline for classic registration is 25 years old.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I thought 25-30 years. Yea I know the whole truck is computerized but I once I yank everything out throw in an old 350 with turbo 400 trans and maybe np203 everything else is extra except safety stuff anyways

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In Wis the emissions equipment requirements followed the year of the motor, not the vehicle.
I put a 74 Nova 350 in my 88 pickup and PO'd the cops when they tried to cite me and I showed a copy of the statute.
I heard it changed but the truck is long gone so I haven't checked.
Point is, check with your state DOT

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
In Wis the emissions equipment requirements followed the year of the motor, not the vehicle.
I put a 74 Nova 350 in my 88 pickup and PO'd the cops when they tried to cite me and I showed a copy of the statute.
I heard it changed but the truck is long gone so I haven't checked.
Point is, check with your state DOT

The police check under your hood? How would they know the engine was a 74?

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
anything 1996 or newer with OBD2 in my state is and will be tested no matter the age, 1995 or older ( OBD1) you can do anything you want

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I’m going to have to go talk to those people at the dmv, the website doesn’t say a whole lot