Complete rebuild question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol, that ought to be interesting...good luck, maybe you’ll actually find someone that knows something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I really doubt that

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In Texas 25 years old, you just have to have a safety inspection, no emissions test. Don't know about getting rid of the PCM .

Yea I know about the classic or antique status, I live in Dallas, the computer thing is what’s got me stumped

tardisguy

Reaction score
I'm in San Antonio, TX. There is a difference between classic and antique plates. Classic plates are more just to look cool, no real benefits (annual registration or inspection still must be done) Antique plate on the other hand, have special rules. Plates cost around $55 and are good for 5 years. No annual inspection requirement but, by your word to DMV, all factory installed safety items must function (lights, seat belts, e-brake) and you must keep liability insurance on it. HERE IS THE KICKER!! Vehicles with antique plates CANNOT be used as daily transportation, only for car shows, parades, going to the repair shop or emergencies.
My 86 Monte Carlo had antique plates. It also had a 454 out of a 70's Chevy pick up, long tube headers and true dual exhaust with no cats and series 40 flowmasters. It did not have a computer or any emissions items. I drove it all the time but if someone with a badge asked me, I was on my way to a car show or I was on my way home from the auto shop.

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
yea, again, depending on your statutes, you may be able to get away with getting 'custom', 'antique', 'classic', or something else at 20 years old that could void some requirements. as long as you follow the requirements to get those plates in the first place.