cold starts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey guys im just curious how your trucks do in the cold weather? do you run/use block heaters? whats the coldest you have started it in? any remedies for the cold?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everything starts fine here. Rarely does it hit low 20's or colder though. If I had an issue it would be block heater and battery warmers for me!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've started both of my trucks right up with over a foot of snow piled on top of them in roughly zero degree weather. No block heaters here, no problems.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Mine will start at -40 without the block heater, but I am not that cruel to it. :) 0w30 synthetic, and block heater plugged in, it fires like it's summer time.

The coldest I have started it in has been last year when it hit -51C with windchill. ( -59.8F for you folks south of the border ) When it's real cold out, I let it run until the transmission temperature comes up to around 85F before attempting to move it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also worth mentioning that a good battery will help you with cold weather starts. Before I switched to Odyssey Extremes in my trucks I would notice that they sometimes cranked a little slower when it was very cold outside.

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok cool guys! i just put a new battery in last year (ac delco) and ive never had a cold start problem yet but im heading up north next week. i do have a remote start tho

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If you have a remote start, make sure the 'cold starting' feature is turned off... otherwise it will keep starting during the cold and drain your battery for you, as it will never run long enough to bring the battery back up.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I live in Canada where it can get quite cold, especially because I`m located in Central part of it. There had been a time where I had to start it up in -45C without block heat with 5W-30. 350 TBI. Wouldnt have started it if I didnt have too. Cranked a little slower but wouldn`t you know. It started up! with 330k on it I was impressed for it. I almost always have it plugged in though.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get's down to around 10 F here in the winter, sometimes 0 F on a cold night, truck starts like it does in the middle of summer. Usually 2 or 3 cranks over and it's running. Synthetic 5w-30 though, I've seen what dyno oil does when it's cold... Truck's got an Interstate Marine cranking battery in it. I've been contemplating adding oil pan heaters to the trans and engine, I have such a short drive to work it's only just warmed up by the time I get there.

Last edited: