Cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you want looks, then take your pic, but if you want performance, then just replace your filter with a high flow filter, and remove the box that says Vortec on it, and plug the hole in it. And while you are at it, remove the throttle body and shave off the diffuser plate. Here is a video, and some pics of my air box and Vortec box removed.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You must be registered for see images attach

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
considering its a maf system there is no such thing as a high flow filter, it just becomes a less filtering filter. clean paper filter and a stock setup is a true cold air, if you want looks and a fancy crappy filter run a volant or s&b would be best.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A paper filter is more restrictive than a good cotton, or cloth filter, and will flow more air at WOT. The point is for performance, a non paper filter that fits the stock box will out perform any paper filter. The pores in paper will not let as much air pass through it as a cloth filter will.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
considering its a maf system there is no such thing as a high flow filter, it just becomes a less filtering filter. clean paper filter and a stock setup is a true cold air, if you want looks and a fancy crappy filter run a volant or s&b would be best.

X2. Oiled gauze like the K&N or Spectre filters are garbage in my opinion. Sure they flow better, because they don't filter worth a damn. If you care about your engine, use the factory paper filters.

The "Vortec" box that @kennythewelder mentioned is just a resonator. Removing it will make things louder, that's about it.

The throttle blade diffuser removal causes a perceived performance boost in the butt dyno, but only because you're drawing in more air with less accelerator pedal travel. I did it on my red truck, and decided to leave it alone on the Suburban. Makes the throttle response more of an on/off effect than I really like.

These trucks already have a perfectly functional cold air intake from the factory, it draws from a hole in the fender and flows PLENTY for these engines. If you insist on wasting money, at least buy a Volant. They're the only company who makes sealed aftermarket intakes that actually draw from that factory fender hole. Everything else wil draw hot engine compartment air and actually perform worse than the factory system.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

X2. Oiled gauze like the K&N or Spectre filters are garbage in my opinion. Sure they flow better, because they don't filter worth a damn. If you care about your engine, use the factory paper filters.

The "Vortec" box that @kennythewelder mentioned is just a resonator. Removing it will make things louder, that's about it.

The throttle blade diffuser removal causes a perceived performance boost in the butt dyno, but only because you're drawing in more air with less accelerator pedal travel. I did it on my red truck, and decided to leave it alone on the Suburban. Makes the throttle response more of an on/off effect than I really like.

These trucks already have a perfectly functional cold air intake from the factory, it draws from a hole in the fender and flows PLENTY for these engines. If you insist on wasting money, at least buy a Volant. They're the only company who makes sealed aftermarket intakes that actually draw from that factory fender hole. Everything else wil draw hot engine compartment air and actually perform worse than the factory system.
You have to consider the facts. If your truck spends time off road or in dusty environments, then you need all the filtration you can get, and a paper filter will do that. If you are like my and never take your truck off road, and it never sees a dusty environment like dirt roads ect. then a cloth filter is fine.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have to consider the facts. If your truck spends time off road or in dusty environments, then you need all the filtration you can get, and a paper filter will do that. If you are like my and never take your truck off road, and it never sees a dusty environment like dirt roads ect. then a cloth filter is fine.

Eh, that's debatable. You're still getting dust and debris through the filter on a daily basis no matter where you drive the most. Semis kick up lots of road dust on the highway, etc. I ran a K&N filter on my FIPK kit in the red truck for 6 months or so and the stuff that made it through there and caked on the inside of the intake tube was disgusting. Fouled my MAF more than once. My trucks are pavement queens, too. I took it off and switched to an Amsoil EA conical filter and never had another issue.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, bud.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Eh, that's debatable. You're still getting dust and debris through the filter on a daily basis no matter where you drive the most. Semis kick up lots of road dust on the highway, etc. I ran a K&N filter on my FIPK kit in the red truck for 6 months or so and the stuff that made it through there and caked on the inside of the intake tube was disgusting. Fouled my MAF more than once. My trucks are pavement queens, too. I took it off and switched to an Amsoil EA conical filter and never had another issue.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, bud.
Interesting. I have had my Spectre filter on my 97 for so long, (maybe 4 years or 5 years) that I had to get another one from Auto Zone. I have never had an issue with mine. My air box always looks clean, as does my supply tubing. I check it every oil change 3000 miles. And my oil never looks real bad when I change it. Oh you can tell it is turning dark brownish blackish when I change it, but nothing different then when I had a paper filter. As for the resonator box, I know it gives a straighter flow of air, although it may not make a big difference in performance. We do how ever all agree a CAI kit is a waste of time and money on these trucks.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting. I have had my Spectre filter on my 97 for so long, (maybe 4 years or 5 years) that I had to get another one from Auto Zone. I have never had an issue with mine. My air box always looks clean, as does my supply tubing. I check it every oil change 3000 miles. And my oil never looks real bad when I change it. Oh you can tell it is turning dark brownish blackish when I change it, but nothing different then when I had a paper filter. As for the resonator box, I know it gives a straighter flow of air, although it may not make a big difference in performance. We do how ever all agree a CAI kit is a waste of time and money on these trucks.

Always good to have a civilized discussion on this stuff! The differences in our experiences could have something to do with the fact that we were running different intakes with different shapes of filters, or maybe Spectre uses a slightly tighter mesh pattern in their gauze than K&N does. Who knows. Whatever the case, at least we agree on the principles behind the findings. Paper filters better and flows worse, oiled gauze filters worse and flows better.

EDIT - And yes, we definitely agree that aftermarket intakes are a waste on money on these trucks! My K&N FIPK on the red truck is one of my biggest regrets as far as mods go.

Last edited: