cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i saw on this forum somewhere that the silencer box can be removed for better air flow ,whats the best way to rework the duct workand rid the silencer box.and is this worth the time and effort

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
help us out a bit bud, what year truck, and is the engine bone stock? Since you said silencer box, I assume you have a 96+ vortec but you know what assuming does :D

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't have to "rework" any intake tubing to get rid of the silencer box. All you have to do is take it off and get a rubber cap to put over the hole.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
You don't have to "rework" any intake tubing to get rid of the silencer box. All you have to do is take it off and get a rubber cap to put over the hole.

This is right...or you can be really ghetto and use the bottom of a coke can, it fits perfectly over the hole and then just secure it with the stock rubber peice and hose clamp

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is right...or you can be really ghetto and use the bottom of a coke can, it fits perfectly over the hole and then just secure it with the stock rubber peice and hose clamp

I actually used a grizz wintergreen lid and siliconed it in place and put the box back on. Looks stock but still same effect as removing the box

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also just a thought........

He could be talkin about the silencer box by the fender in the pre vortecs that alot if guys just replace it with the long accordian type tube...........

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also just a thought........

He could be talkin about the silencer box by the fender in the pre vortecs that alot if guys just replace it with the long accordian type tube...........

Since I owned both that is why I was wondering which one he was talking about. Maybe he will come back and give us more info so we can help him :waytogo:

Reaction score
itz a 96with a new 350 with a throttle body spacer hyperteck programer true dualls and high flow cats with flowmasters 3 inch body lift with 3 inch keys and blocks rollin on 33 bfg

Reaction score
oh and its the box behind the throttle body.so im guessin just pull box off and cap at tubeing.will this help performance. just trying to get all i can out of it without turning it into a major gas guzzler

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
*in-before-3-inch-keys-don't-exist*

But yes, as stated, you can just pull it off and cap it. If you like you can put it back on so it appears stock over the plug. You will see zero performance benefits from doing this.

There is no magic bullet for improving fuel economy, and realistically the more you do to the engine, the worse the economy will be until you get it re-tuned.