Code 32 with a high flow exhaust.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1988 350 TBI vin K. Little back story, my old ECM was shot and wouldn’t recognize a faulty egr. I found the cheap egr I had was failed and could not hold vacuum, so I replaced it with a new AC Delco that I confirmed works perfectly. I resistance tested solenoid and verified voltage at connector. I checked vacuum lines and confirmed no leaks. I swapped in a new ECM temporarily to fix the old and it popped code 32, which I never got before due to old bad ECM. I figured it might be the ECM so I popped in the new one once it finally came in from being ordered but I still got the code. Following this, I completely cleaned the EGR, tons of carb cleaner in the intake EGR hole and I snaked a wire around a few times in case anything is in there. I ran the truck with no EGR for a few seconds and it shot out black carbon everywhere. So I cleaned it a few more times just in case and it stayed away for a few days. I was on the parkway today and sure enough it came back. I have a 3 inch exhaust cutout directly behind the exhaust factory Y-Pipe. I have read that free flowing exhausts can cause this issue. Does anyone know an easy way to keep the free flowing exhaust but not get the code anymore? The truck gets much much better mileage with the cutout open, hence why I want to keep it. Any help is appreciated.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is running fine I would not worry about it, maybe a tuner could eliminate EGR like on the 96+ trucks.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely cleaned the EGR, tons of carb cleaner in the intake EGR hole and I snaked a wire around a few times in case anything is in there. I ran the truck with no EGR for a few seconds and it shot out black carbon everywhere. So I cleaned it a few more times just in case and it stayed away for a few days. I was on the parkway today and sure enough it came back.
You may not have cleaned the EGR passages inside your intake manifold enough. The only way to get a deep clean is to pull it. The ports that go up to the EGR mount are the blue arrows, The gasses are run through the red arrow port. Given everything else is good, I'd go there.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nick88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is running fine I would not worry about it, maybe a tuner could eliminate EGR like on the 96+ trucks.
My only concern is I have heard when the SES light comes on the TBI trucks go into “limp mode” where it adds way more fuel and retards timing, creating awful fuel economy, which especially with gas rising, I don’t like the sound of

Nick88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may not have cleaned the EGR passages inside your intake manifold enough. The only way to get a deep clean is to pull it. The ports that go up to the EGR mount are the blue arrows, The gasses are run through the red arrow port. Given everything else is good, I'd go there.

You must be registered for see images attach
Do you think it’s possible even though it obviously won’t be nearly as thorough, I could pop off the egr and spray a ton of carb cleaner in the exhaust side and let it almost soak in and loosen up the egr ports at the end of the intake. Just to save the hassle of removing everything on top of the intake and taking off the intake and what not, the truck is also my DD.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could pop off the egr and spray a ton of carb cleaner in the exhaust side and let it almost soak in and loosen up the egr ports at the end of the intake
Sometimes it takes hammer and chisel to break that carbon loose.

Nick88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes it takes hammer and chisel to break that carbon loose
Do you know if code 32 would cause “limp mode” I don’t mind driving it around for a bit with an on and off SES before I pop the intake, unless it’s gonna drop my mileage and run like crap

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know if code 32 would cause “limp mode” I don’t mind driving it around for a bit with an on and off SES before I pop the intake, unless it’s gonna drop my mileage and run like crap
I don't think so, I think it goes into Open Loop and runs off the VE and SA tables. If your VE table is off, it won't run right and may burn more fuel.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so, I think it goes into Open Loop and runs off the VE and SA tables. If your VE table is off, it won't run right and may burn more fuel.
More like he said which takes you back to tuning. You can tune the EGR out and it will stay in closed loop. You are more than likely running the 1227747 ECM and lean cruise can be tuned into it,more miles per gallon.