Clutch issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arkansasdave

Reaction score
I started my 90' today and when I pushed in the clutch it had pedal at first then
just went limp to the floor but let the 5 speed go in 1st gear but didn't release so
I turned the truck off tried to pump up the pedal after checking fluid in the reservoir
and it was full. It did not pump up so I put the truck in 1st and started it in gear to
see if it would start in gear but the truck just started and then didn't even act like
it was in gear even though I felt it go in gear. It seems like the clutch is disengaged
from the flywheel even though the pedal is released not sure what is going on but it
drove fine last time. Will the hydraulic clutch stick disengaged like this? I figure i
need to flush the old fluid and refill with some new fluid and bleed all the air or
maybe need a slave cylinder? any advice appreciated.

Dave

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not much of a "clutch guy" but I had one, once. So I guess I'll respond...

Thinking about your problem, I might imagine the master or slave cylinder may have corroded and finally stuck in the disengaged position. Or, perhaps the throw-out mechanism is worn and has stuck in some fashion, partially or completely disengaged.

I hope that others here find your thread and respond, as the answer is probably quite simple and well known.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get under the truck, see what there is to see.

Yes, either the hydraulics have stuck with the pressure plate disengaged, the pressure plate has gone over-center, or perhaps the clutch disc broke. Neither is real likely; and if there isn't a lot of ugly noise, it's more likely the hydraulics.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My '97 did the same.
New clutch & master. But...didn't do a new slave.
All back together & my fix wasn't the fix. Same problem as before.
2 of us, in the driveway. Internal slave, so the trans is getting pulled back. A day's job is now three. ****.
Yea-yea. I know. More than a 'Doh!' moment. A cheap, lazy, dumbass moment. Didn't fully load the parts cannon.
Your truck probably has an sm465. External slave! (phew!)
How many miles on that clutch now?
Might even be a good idea to just do a complete clutch job. Preventative, 'cause if your luck's like mine, one thing leads to another. Replace the master, line & slave and then boom, next week...
"Damn. Shoulda done the clutch!"

Arkansasdave

Reaction score
Get under the truck, see what there is to see.

Yes, either the hydraulics have stuck with the pressure plate disengaged, the pressure plate has gone over-center, or perhaps the clutch disc broke. Neither is real likely; and if there isn't a lot of ugly noise, it's more likely the hydraulics.
Ok thanks there was no noise just normal sounds

Dave

Arkansasdave

Reaction score
My '97 did the same.
New clutch & master. But...didn't do a new slave.
All back together & my fix wasn't the fix. Same problem as before.
2 of us, in the driveway. Internal slave, so the trans is getting pulled back. A day's job is now three. ****.
Yea-yea. I know. More than a 'Doh!' moment. A cheap, lazy, dumbass moment. Didn't fully load the parts cannon.
Your truck probably has an sm465. External slave! (phew!)
How many miles on that clutch now?
Might even be a good idea to just do a complete clutch job. Preventative, 'cause if your luck's like mine, one thing leads to another. Replace the master, line & slave and then boom, next week...
"Damn. Shoulda done the clutch!"
The clutch, throw out bearing, pressure plate, pilot bearing, slave cylinder,clutch master cylinder and line to slave cylinder have 27000 miles on them I had put 10,000 in parts in the truck a few years back when I went through it and refreshed everything since new.

Dave

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I started my 90' today and when I pushed in the clutch it had pedal at first then
just went limp to the floor but let the 5 speed go in 1st gear but didn't release so
I turned the truck off tried to pump up the pedal after checking fluid in the reservoir
and it was full. It did not pump up so I put the truck in 1st and started it in gear to
see if it would start in gear but the truck just started and then didn't even act like
it was in gear even though I felt it go in gear. It seems like the clutch is disengaged
from the flywheel even though the pedal is released not sure what is going on but it
drove fine last time. Will the hydraulic clutch stick disengaged like this? I figure i
need to flush the old fluid and refill with some new fluid and bleed all the air or
maybe need a slave cylinder? any advice appreciated.

Dave
You may have multiple issues going on.
The sudden pedal to the floor is quite likely a hydraulic failure.
Is the fluid dirty?
If the fluid on any hydrualic system be it brakes or clutch or whatever is dirty
It is either due to metal on metal contact or
Much more likely it has a leak.
If you push on the pedal and fluid leaks out, when the pedal retracts it sucks air in.
And air always comes with water.
And dirt and crud.
All of that becomes an emulsion.
Its kind of like making vinagrette salad dressing with a whisk.
If you let that sit overnight, the air comes out of emulsion and settles in all of the nooks amd hard corners of the system.
So you get a short lived hard pedal untill you pump that salad dressing into an emulsion again.
Contaminated fluid is not as effective as clean fluid.
There is a loss of function and a loss of effeciancy in that system.
The end result of that loss is that every time you push the pedal, the clutch disengages a bit less.
And the longer it takes for the clutch to release, the more likely you are to start slipping the clutch.
And that becomes a feedback loop.
The clutch drag chews and glazes the flywheel which eats the clutch and eventually grinds the clutch up and the pressure plate gets chewed up Etc..
And now the official disclaimer.
I have never owned a manual transmission OBS Chevrolet.
All that followes is pure Ford based specuallation.
A 90s Ford uses an aluminum casting that hangs off of the firewall amd uses a
common rod for the brake pedal and the clutch pedal.
That rod runs through the cheapest crap plastic split bushings you have ever seen.
Wall is about .020 on those.
When the bushings get chewed up that rod runs on the aluminum casting.
And ovals out the holes.
Eventually, you now longer have the pedal throw because the first quarter inch or better is slop in the bracket.
And the more you slam that clutch pedal into the floor, the bigger that hole gets, and the less clutch you have because it isnt releasing it is dragging and glazing the flywheel surface and chewing up the friction on the clutch.
And then one day you push in the clutch when its cold and it sinks to the floor because of salad dressing for hydraulic fluid and no clutch left and a chewed up pivot point on the clutch pedal that makes the pedal hit the floor before it can move the clutch.

Like I said, some of this is Ford nonsense.
I dont know what the Chevy setup is.
But I think its clutch time bud.
And surface the flywheel too.
Keep in mind that getting the air out of any slave cylinder can be a reall ******* to do.
At least it aint a Ford.

Arkansasdave

Reaction score
Thinger2,

Sorry for the slow reply been tied up all week at work and didn't get a chance to
get on the forum. The fluid does look dirty I was planning to flush and change it
so that is the first thing i'm going to try. I have a clutch bleeding tool that is a
pressurized tank to push clean fluid through the system so I'll try that first since
the clutch didn't feel like it slipped at all before and only had 27,000 miles but
it could have been slipping. I have owned allot of manuals with slipping clutches
and it didn't feel like that but I'm going to find out. Fingers crossed I'll report
back once I get it figured out. Thanks for all the info from everyone I do
appreciate it.

Dave

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My clutch went bad on my NV3500 and I barely made it up the hill to the shop to get it changed. I ended up replacing everything, including the rear main seal and oil pan gasket. Luk makes some good clutch kits. I didn’t use them cause I didn’t have the dough, poor high schooler. It’s better to just get a new flywheel especially right now with machine shops being back up.

Arkansasdave

Reaction score
so I did a little diagnosing and research and determined that my clutch
master cylinder might be bypassing the seal and not putting all the fluid
to the slave. So I removed the old one with 27000 miles and sure enough
it was leaking from the rear where the rod goes in and I replaced it with
a new Duralast unit. I bench bled it and put it on and instantly could tell
the difference the pedal came right back up like it was supposed to but
is going to have to be bled farther because it does have some air. more
to come on it as soon as I get it finished up.

Dave