Clear Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamAirDave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup..like the others said...They should polish right out. Might try some 2000 grit wetsand and then 2-3 stage polish. If you dont have the product though..find a buddy that does. The price of the 3M products alone will cost more than the new housings lol

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 3M kit is pricey but nice; I've never needed that much though to get headlights looking good again. Remove from truck (don't forget it's just the 2 simple "pin" bolts sticking up through the core support so you can pull the housing for bulb replacement; no need to pull the grille), wetsand with 600, polish with Novus #2 plastic polish on a cloth wheel. Clean thoroughly and apply clearcoat. I've had fine results with rattle can clear. You can get Novus at a bunch of places including some cycle shops, and of course online.

Richard

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the tyc that were in my truck if you'd be interested. $150+ shipping obo

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you guys have been using 600 grit sand paper at the highest before you clear or polish? I just bout some and tried some 1500 and you could see the scratches and dullness but the clear looked OK on the light I used to test. Does the light look pretty beat up before you applied polish or clear?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
600 wet, then polish, then clear. If you polish properly you won't see any scratches. Mind you that's on an OEM housing which doesn't have any crystal clear areas. If you're trying to polish out some completely clear aftermarket lenses or ones on other vehicles that have a clear design then you're better off stepping up the sandpaper grades a few more times throughout the process, or using the kit.

Richard

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I just cleared the headlights on my car today. I wet sanded with 800 grit, cleaned, and let it dry. It was not clear at all and you could see all the scratches from the paper. I masked it off and sprayed it with 2k clear and they look new again and you couldnt even see the scratches.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just cleared the headlights on my car today. I wet sanded with 800 grit, cleaned, and let it dry. It was not clear at all and you could see all the scratches from the paper. I masked it off and sprayed it with 2k clear and they look new again and you couldnt even see the scratches.

Pictures son pictures

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I'm sure there were scratches after the sanding, that's what the polishing step is for. :)

Richard

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Yes, after sanding you could see the scratches but the scratches are necessary because it gives the clear coat something to bond to. It wont bond to a smooth, polished surface. I dont have any before or during pictures but I grabbed an after picture.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a closer picture and as you can see, no scratches are visible and I didnt polish them after sanding. If you spray the clear without runs or dry spraying then you will get a perfect finish and polishing will not be required. Make sure the old clear coat has been sanded off, there will be shiny spots on the light where old clear coat is still there.

You must be registered for see images attach