Clear fuel filter not full when running...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought I would share this after working on my carb conversion 350 yesterday . I have a high vol mechanical fuel pump installed....for the first time ever I ran a clear filter in my fuel line going to the pump INLET . I was shocked to see it was about 1/3 full while at best running with this 80 GPH pump ?????? I have never run a clear filter before . So I pulled my fuel lines , blew them all out ,blew the line out back to the tank strainer , disassembled my second filter in the carb inlet fuel line and found ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong. Scratching my head I then disconnected the carb fuel inlet line ran it to a bucket and started the truck and enormous amount of fuel IMMEDIATELY flowed through the filters line etc ?????? So I theorized its got something to do with the needle and seat at the carb . If the carb isnt demanding fuel it cant pull fuel through the filter backstream . I then read on the net several old guys saying this is totally normal -one a 40 year mechanic who said dont worry about it .

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So just as a follow up I continued to have sporadic low fuel pressure problems feeding my carb with an 80 gph mechanical pump and an inline plastic clear fuel filter located on the inlet side of the fuel pump ...so I simply moved the filter to the high pressure side of the fuel pump leading to the carb (the way the factory ran it back in the day) and I have had no fuel pressure issues since ..... additionally I got rid of the clear 3/8 plastic inline filter and went with a metal can type filter for fear of splitting it some day going down the road .... FWIW .

Last edited: