choice spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nokia

Reaction score
i want replace spark plugs on my 1990 C 1500 5.7 truck. i must buy in internet, but there are many .
based your experience what you suggest ? manufacture? iridium? platinum ? normal ?

ps. have suggestion also for spark plug cables ? (if I need to change those too)

thanks to everybody

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always used normal Champion plugs in my 90 Sierra 5.7l. I never had a problem. All of those fancy plugs will just lighten your wallet.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really like NGK 3547 platinum plugs, but any new copper plug gapped properly will work just fine and run better than a tired old plug. As far as wires go, i like silicone wires, rockauto.com has a nice tune up kit made by United Motor Products with cap, rotor, and silicone wires for pretty cheap, I've put about 6k miles on mine with no issues.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've got the platinum AC Delco's... I think the 3rd set including the originals. I've got 285K miles. I've got some regular/non-platinum NGKs, that I thought I'd try, but they're still sitting on my parts shelf. I've heard that regular plugs run better in high mileage engines.

nokia

Reaction score
thank to all for your suggest
my truck have 149.ooo miles on dash ....but i don't know if are real. at the moment i can't drive because awaiting Italian register test for get italian licence plate. visually the engine should be good ,run well , but when go to start engine after one week of sleep , it need 3-4 second of motorstart befor get going . it is normal ? i know the need serius test for understand status. but in meantime i want start to search and buy service component as filters spark drive belt ect , but for plug the choice is very big .

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
my truck have 149.ooo miles on dash ....but i don't know if are real. at the moment i can't drive because awaiting Italian register test for get italian licence plate. visually the engine should be good ,run well , but when go to start engine after one week of sleep , it need 3-4 second of motorstart befor get going . it is normal ? i know the need serius test for understand status. but in meantime i want start to search and buy service component as filters spark drive belt ect , but for plug the choice is very big .
You may have low fuel pressure. This will cause the truck to take a while to start. If the fuel pressure is low, the fix is to replace the fuel pump most of the time. You have an OBD I computer system in your truck. You can look on you tube and there are a lot of videos there that show how to get you ECM codes. You can do this with a paper clip, on your truck. But low fuel pressure will not show up on this test. For this you need to do a fuel pressure test. There are videos on you tube for that too.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh and 149,000 miles are low miles for your truck. I have 243,000 on my 97. I have seen these trucks with over 400,000 miles, and I just joined Chevy lendgens club. There are trucks like ours there with over 1,000,000 miles on them.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel pressure losing prime more than likely when sitting, try turning your key to on position for a few seconds before you start cranking on it, and let fuel pressure prime.