Check your transfer case lube!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ancho

Reaction score
Just a "public service announcement" - I recently bought a 2000 Escalade (GMT400), and had some clunky feeling upon initial takeoff from a stop. I remember having this in my 98 Tahoe with autotrac 4WD, and the updated GM blue fluid corrected the problem. SO, I figured it was the same problem, and ordered some fluid but it wasn't a priority. I finally got around to draining the old lube, and out came about a half quart of what looked like motor oil - not ATF, not the blue lube, and certainly not an adequate amount no matter what fluid it was. Could have had some disastrous results if it was much lower. If you haven't checked your t-case lube, check it today!:uhoh2:

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Just a "public service announcement" - I recently bought a 2000 Escalade (GMT400), and had some clunky feeling upon initial takeoff from a stop. I remember having this in my 98 Tahoe with autotrac 4WD, and the updated GM blue fluid corrected the problem. SO, I figured it was the same problem, and ordered some fluid but it wasn't a priority. I finally got around to draining the old lube, and out came about a half quart of what looked like motor oil - not ATF, not the blue lube, and certainly not an adequate amount no matter what fluid it was. Could have had some disastrous results if it was much lower. If you haven't checked your t-case lube, check it today!:uhoh2:

Funny story about that...

I took my truck in to the tech school I used to be in, my instructor let us pick our groups, so I picked my 2 class mates that happened to be in my tech class, then my instructor put some big dope in our group. Well that was the day I brought my truck in to check fluids, that stupid ******* took the wrong sized wrench to that bolt on the T-case to fill with fluid, Ive never checked it before so I don't know if it has a plug for draining and a bolt for filling.. but he ended up rounded the edges of the big bolt head.

The kid ended up quitting the class after missing so many days.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea mines overfull, I know it. The seal between it and the trans leaks fluid from the trans into the t-case. every so often my trans is low.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Funny story about that...

I took my truck in to the tech school I used to be in, my instructor let us pick our groups, so I picked my 2 class mates that happened to be in my tech class, then my instructor put some big dope in our group. Well that was the day I brought my truck in to check fluids, that stupid ******* took the wrong sized wrench to that bolt on the T-case to fill with fluid, Ive never checked it before so I don't know if it has a plug for draining and a bolt for filling.. but he ended up rounded the edges of the big bolt head.

The kid ended up quitting the class after missing so many days.

It's not that hard to take a rounded bolt out. Trust me if you ever have to change oil as a job you'll get used to is.

ancho

Reaction score
the transfer case plugs are a very soft aluminum, very easy to round off for sure.