Changing hub / wheel bearing on 98' K1500? Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbaker1k

Reaction score
Hope someone can help; I have a 98 k1500 that I need to replace the DS front hub assembly (bearing is shot). I have done this before on a newer model and Jeeps, but this ones a little different. Normally there are 3 bolts on the back side of the knuckle that you remove then pull the assembly from the outside. This truck has what appears to be 3 studs threaded into the knuckle and nuts that secure the hub assembly (nuts thread on from the outside, between the hub mounting flange and wheel flange). The problem is the nuts / studs are rusted so bad I can get a wrench on them. I have not found any video or manual which shows the stud setup. I can grind the nuts off, and probably get the hub off, but what the heck do I do then? I haven’t found any source for the studs or nuts.

Someone else must have run into this. Please help!

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need some pb blaster. Spray it on and let it sit for a day, lubricating a few times throughout. Clean the nuts off and see if they will move. May not be a bad idea to have a mapp gas torch to heat them up also. Might want some good vice grip pliers also

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Fine tip on a torch and shock 'em loose.

Other than that you need to get an impact on 'em.

Hand tools aren't gonna "git it" if you're working on a rust belt truck.

Penetrating oils can work, but ya gotta hit it and walk away. Then keep hitting it every time you walk by it. If it's bad, you'll have to do at least an overnight seep.

Dealer will likely be the only source for the bolts....

jbaker1k

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. What’s puzzling me is the fact that the hub is held in with studs & nuts, rather than bolts from the back side. Are all 88-98 k1500 trucks like this?

I can’t get an impact on it because its tucked in between the knuckle and wheel mounting flange.

Frustrating because this should be pretty straight forward.