Cats gone, need to fool computer/02 sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

esch

Reaction score
Can someone give me the simplest way to fool my computer into thinking the oxygen sensors are in place and working so my check engine light goes out? If I dont fool the computer, how will my engine run? My cats are gone and pipes in place. Thanks

1998 GMC Yukon

Last edited:

esch

Reaction score
electronic fix?

Isn't there some kind of electronic fix?

JayBo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine runs fine without the cats, the CEL stays on though

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Isn't there some kind of electronic fix?

There are O2 simulators but they cost ~$40, my truck has ran fine for the past year with out any cats, CEL stays on but the only codes it throws means that the forward O2 sensors aren't working properly but doesn't do anything to the air/fuel mix, etc.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, my local muffler shop, uses rear O2 threaded extensions a lot, I have used them a couple of times with good luck. They just move the O2 sensor up further from the exhaust stream and it fools the sensor in to thinking that the cat is still there. You can go to a part's store and get a pair of Spark plug non foulers from the help section make sure you get the 18mm ones, take them and drill the small hole open in them, and they work perfect, I actually keep some in my toolbox just in case someone needs one. I have been buying locally for about $8 for a pair.

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are O2 simulators but they cost ~$40, my truck has ran fine for the past year with out any cats, CEL stays on but the only codes it throws means that the forward O2 sensors aren't working properly but doesn't do anything to the air/fuel mix, etc.

when the o2s are gone or not working properly the A/F ratio will be changed. The vehicles have set tables to use when the 02s go out, kinda like a safe mode.

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can someone give me the simplest way to fool my computer into thinking the oxygen sensors are in place and working so my check engine light goes out? If I dont fool the computer, how will my engine run? My cats are gone and pipes in place. Thanks

1998 GMC Yukon

put the key in and start it up. it will run fine with out the cat,o2s, and programming. Just get used to the check engine light being on, I have no cats or o2 on my 94 and the light comes on every now and then.