Carbed 92 with fuel issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Needs15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's definitely a mess and not really something I wanted to get involved in but I did. It has had the dizzy swapped out and looks like it had a engine swapped at some point. So am I best to tell him to rewire fuel pump like was previously mentioned. Anything we can do to get rpm signal from dizzy?

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What distributor is in the truck now? First Guess: Coil-in-cap, 4-pin module HEI.

You'd have to trace down the wire harness to figure out how the computer expects to receive the RPM signal--might be based on the Tach terminal, or it might be based on pickup coil voltage. I'm guessing it'll be Tach, not pickup coil--but I don't know for sure.

Then you add wiring and connectors as needed so the computer gets the RPM signal it's expecting to get.

Downside is that the computer is expecting a whole bunch more info--TPS, knock sensor, MAP, etc. and it's not getting that, either. Is the Check Engine/SES/MIL light on? It should be.

Alternative is to re-wire the signal part of the relay so the relay turns on with the alternator--alternator charging, relay engaged.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd have to trace down the wire harness to figure out how the computer expects to receive the RPM signal--might be based on the Tach terminal, or it might be based on pickup coil voltage. I'm guessing it'll be Tach, not pickup coil--but I don't know for sure.
On the TBI your signal to the ECM is generated from the ICM and sent through pin R to ECM pin B5. The pickup coil in the distributor sends an AC sine wave signal to the ICM which converts it to square wave and sends it to the ECM. You may be able to use the signal from the coil (white wire on TBI coil). I'm not sure if your ECM uses the same pin B5, you'll have to verify this. YMMV
You must be registered for see images attach