Carb swapped ‘97 vortec - SUCCESS!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dk47

Reaction score
What parts did you have to get, how hard was is, and would it be easier on a manual trans?
Carb, hei distributor, intake, and fuel pressure regulator. Mine wasn't too bad because I started from scratch, having the motor out and all. Very doable though. The only plus on a manual tranny is you don't have to worry about a throttle position sensor for the electronics.

35olds

Reaction score
I have successfully carb swapped my 97 silverado. A lot of research, trial and error, work has paid off. All of it has been done by myself except some machine shop work. I went with a Edelbrock AVS2 carb and have the 4L60E shifting perfectly. Everywhere I went online I had folks telling me how ridiculously I was to do it.
The reason for this post is to say it is a very worthwhile project. If anyone has questions please ask and I will help any way I can. I can post pics if needed.
I did get some good advice on this forum and I do appreciate it.
What electric fuel pump did you go with ?

Dk47

Reaction score
What electric fuel pump did you go with ?
My truck is a 97 vortec and I just kept the stock in-tank pump. It's close to 60 psi so you have to have a pressure regulator. I used one from summit racing. It's in one of the pics on the right fender. The Edelbrock needs about 6 psi. I can get the part number if you need it

97blackbowtie

Reaction score
I have had enough issues with my ignition system that I ended up here on this thread
Nice swap man, great looking truck! My 97 lives in the cold winters of Michigan and is starting to show a lot of rust. Wished she looked at clean as yours.

EJ1948

Reaction score
I have successfully carb swapped my 97 silverado. A lot of research, trial and error, work has paid off. All of it has been done by myself except some machine shop work. I went with a Edelbrock AVS2 carb and have the 4L60E shifting perfectly. Everywhere I went online I had folks telling me how ridiculously I was to do it.
The reason for this post is to say it is a very worthwhile project. If anyone has questions please ask and I will help any way I can. I can post pics if needed.
Hello
I am thankful to have found your post. I would like to know if your heater and air conditioning still worked after you switched to the carb?
I have been looking at only trucks sold between the years of 1988 and 1995 to do the carb swap on because of computer issues.. Now I can expand that a few more years. I will be swapping out the 4l60e for a built 700R4 trans so that will be no problem. I can use after market gauges if the dash gauges dont work. for the speedo i can use a gps system which has speed calculated into the system. What else did you have to do?
I am 75 and old school and hate all of this computer and wiring plumbing nightmare. I would appreciate your help if you do not mind
thank you
erik

Fatdanny

Reaction score
Looking to do the same thing with my 98 3500! If I may ask how we're you able to keep your accessories running without the ecm? Looking for ideas and feedback relatively new to this type of build. Thanks

Dk47

Reaction score
Hello
I am thankful to have found your post. I would like to know if your heater and air conditioning still worked after you switched to the carb?
I have been looking at only trucks sold between the years of 1988 and 1995 to do the carb swap on because of computer issues.. Now I can expand that a few more years. I will be swapping out the 4l60e for a built 700R4 trans so that will be no problem. I can use after market gauges if the dash gauges dont work. for the speedo i can use a gps system which has speed calculated into the system. What else did you have to do?
I am 75 and old school and hate all of this computer and wiring plumbing nightmare. I would appreciate your help if you do not mind
thank you
erik
All of my gauges , tach, speedo, oil pressure, etc work just like they did before. You just have to make sure the grounds are connected on your wiring harness. There are three of them. Heat, ac, everything on the truck still works fine. I don't mind helping you at all. Just let me know what you need.

Dk47

Reaction score
Looking to do the same thing with my 98 3500! If I may ask how we're you able to keep your accessories running without the ecm? Looking for ideas and feedback relatively new to this type of build. Thanks
The ecm is still connected . When I pulled the engine I disconnected everything. When I put it back in I used the wires I needed out of the harness and taped and hid the rest. I just made sure the 3 grounds were reconnected and everything worked fine.