Carb swapped ‘97 vortec - SUCCESS!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fatdanny

Reaction score
The ecm is still connected . When I pulled the engine I disconnected everything. When I put it back in I used the wires I needed out of the harness and taped and hid the rest. I just made sure the 3 grounds were reconnected and everything worked fine.
Awesome thank you very much!

Moose0187

Reaction score
Carb, hei distributor, intake, and fuel pressure regulator. Mine wasn't too bad because I started from scratch, having the motor out and all. Very doable though. The only plus on a manual tranny is you don't have to worry about a throttle position sensor for the electronics.
so I am doing a 383 swap in mine with the sniper fuel injection and a hei distributor how did you get the tach signal out of the hei in to the ecm cause the signal out of hemi is 12v and signal in to Ecm is a 5v

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to know what year truck, because that really matters. I put a Sniper on my '89, but I can't remember where I tied into for a tach signal. I think I put it on the white tach wire from the coil.

vizionwolf

Reaction score
I have successfully carb swapped my 97 silverado. A lot of research, trial and error, work has paid off. All of it has been done by myself except some machine shop work. I went with a Edelbrock AVS2 carb and have the 4L60E shifting perfectly. Everywhere I went online I had folks telling me how ridiculously I was to do it.
The reason for this post is to say it is a very worthwhile project. If anyone has questions please ask and I will help any way I can. I can post pics if needed.
I did get some good advice on this forum and I do appreciate it.
Hey was wondering on any info when it comes to thing specifically do all the gauges work, how does the trans shift itself(does it do it auto like factory), and what distributor set up did you do I bought a ready to run set up just haven’t done it yet.

vizionwolf

Reaction score
Carb, hei distributor, intake, and fuel pressure regulator. Mine wasn't too bad because I started from scratch, having the motor out and all. Very doable though. The only plus on a manual tranny is you don't have to worry about a throttle position sensor for the electronics.
How did you wire up the tps to work?

Dk47

Reaction score
so I am doing a 383 swap in mine with the sniper fuel injection and a hei distributor how did you get the tach signal out of the hei in to the ecm cause the signal out of hemi is 12v and signal in to Ecm is a 5v
The tach signal goes to the tach only. The ecm receives it's "tach" signal from the crankshaft position sensor (signal) wire that you connect to the tach wire.

Dk47

Reaction score
If you connect all three ground wires all the gauges still work normally. The ecm still shifts the transmission by using the signal from the crankshaft position sensor that I connected to the wire on the tach side of my distributor and the tps sensor on my carburetor. The tps sensor is wired into the tps sensor harness from the old vortec intake. I can take pics of my tps set up if needed.

vizionwolf

Reaction score
If you connect all three ground wires all the gauges still work normally. The ecm still shifts the transmission by using the signal from the crankshaft position sensor that I connected to the wire on the tach side of my distributor and the tps sensor on my carburetor. The tps sensor is wired into the tps sensor harness from the old vortec intake. I can take pics of my tps set up if needed.
Any pictures of the tps and the tach signal wire and trans wire would be very much so appreciate