Can I disable the Torque Converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
do you have 3.42 or 3.73 gears? I think that It could be a gearing/tire problem as well, since your going the same speed as you would with stock tires but the engine is revving less, which causes the TC to lockup early. I think that either a gegear or a higher stall TC would fix this. Thats what i'm thinking my problem is anyways.

likestrucks

Reaction score
I have 3.73 gears. I have had the tires on for about 70000km and the problem just surfaced right after the new engine install a couple thousand km ago. I am wondering if replacing the torque converter without overhauling the transmission would be an option, that could be an option as well for the OP. I am just not sure if i want to go through all the work of removing and re installing the transmission just for the torque converter and then have the tranny fail shortly after, its risky.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Sounds like a question for Rhino.. He pretty much knows everything about these trannies, and he sells the parts. you could pm him or he may chime in here.

likestrucks

Reaction score
I was just reading on a few other forums and it seems that some people have this lockup issue when they have an engine misfire. I don't have any codes or a check engine light but i had a friend hook the truck up to a scan tool. When he did he could see a random misfire occurring. I need to chase that down, maybe its the problem.

Hezsus and EastTXYukon, are you having any misfires? If they are not showing up in the form of a CEL they could still be there, you can see them with a scan tool.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Yes I am actually, they dont throw a code ever but on an scan tool you can see them and feel them in the idle a little, It smooths out around 1000rpm though.. good info, thanks

EastTXYukon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hooked up to a scanner and didn't have any codes, and my SES light is not on. No misfire at idle, but it might be a good idea to drive it and see if I get a misfire code. In my situation, it seems to shudder between 1000 and 1700 rpms with light acceleration and the torque converter locked up.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I dont get any coles or anything, truck runs decent and never stalls or anything. but a tech2 scanner does pick up a missfire up to 5 counts on any given cylinder