Can a OBD2 connector replace obd1?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pulled dash from 2000 tahoe today. The obd2 port was still attached. Can i wire it where the obd1 from the 93 was when i replace dash?

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you asking to see if it will make obd2?
Yes. so if i get a CEL , 9/10 im nowhere near somew with a scanner. So if it was jjst a simple rewire i would get one of those bluetooth obd2 readers.
Are you changing ecm's???
There would be no reason to swap ports if you didn't swap them. As far as I know, they are speaking two different languages.
Ok. easy enough. Not gona do anything with it then

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's just a connector...a plastic component that houses electrical terminals. So, yes, it can replace an OBD-1 connector as long as the terminals from the OBD-2 connector are removed and can fit into the replacement OBD-1 connector.
Would that allow it to be read by a bluetooth module or a obd2 reader?

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would that allow it to be read by a bluetooth module or a obd2 reader?
OBD-2 scan tools usually have backwards compatability with OBD-1. So, assuming the circuits are wired correctly when you transplant the dash, the OBD-2 scan tools would still be able to interface with your [OBD-1] ECU.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a95 s10 blazer with obd2 plug from the factory. It was an obd1 truck. I had a cable for that combo that came with my aldl stuff so I could read obd1 data. They are wired differently than the obd2 computers. 1 year oddball and the only one I've seen. All the rest of the 95's I've seen were obd1 plugs