Can’t decide which drop. 2/4,3/4 or 4/6.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
4/6 on 275/60-15's.
I like this look, & I like how it looks on 20's too, although the truck handles better with the 15's.
Less unsprung weight.
The 20's weigh about 22lbs a corner more than the 15's.
When I was building mountain bikes, the rule was that 1lb off of the wheels was equal to 3lbs off of the frame. Centrifugal force and all that.
So, using that formula, those 20's are the equivalent of 66lbs more per corner. Or 264lbs of additional unsprung weight.
Weight that the truck has to get rolling, get stopped & change direction.
Weight that affects fuel mileage, the brake performance & their lifespan, along with extra stress on front end components.
I do like the heavier feel in the steering that the 20's create. These truck's power steering is way too over-boosted in the first place & the 20's sure help to tone that down. Much nicer for long distance driving.
But if I want to blast the twisties, the 15's perform so much better. The truck pushes less than with the 20's. With the 20's, the truck feels like it wants to go over top of front tires.
I just wish that there were some decent 15" performance tires being produced. Sure there's sticky drag radials made by a couple of tire co.s , & they are made in a 275/60-15, but kind of spendy & not very practical with a lifespan of around 20,000 miles or less, depending on driving habits. But then why run them if they are not going to used to their potential?

You must be registered for see images attach

So as there are no real practical performance tires in a 15" that can actually be used on a daily, I've moved up in size on my '97 to 17's. Kind of a middle of the road compromise between the weight difference of the 15's & the 20's while having a multitude of choices in performance levels.

My '97 @ 2/4 with 15's, 17's & 20's.
Like I said before, the 20's on a 2/4 look 'donk'.

Last edited:

Chprater

Reaction score
Mines on 17s now and I’m not wanting a low rider I’m just looking for a little better stance. And I hate the idea of cutting into my frame for a bigger drop.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mines on 17s now and I’m not wanting a low rider I’m just looking for a little better stance. And I hate the idea of cutting into my frame for a bigger drop.

If you aren't wanting to do any chopping, go with a 2/4 or just level it with some shackles. There's another truck on here along with sewlow's blue 97 with 17s on a 2/4 and I personally think those two trucks look perfect with that combination. If you go the 2/4 route and want more low, you can just purchase a flip kit and some springs. Truck will look good regardless of what you decide to do.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If you do go to the 2/4, do not get rid of the stock hangers for when you do go to the 4/6 (hehe!)
1/2 ton SUV angers will give about an extra 3/4" drop over the 2/4 kit drop hangers for a 2/4.75 drop. Almost level but still with a slight rake.
You may have to slightly notch the box crossmember for that though.
Probably not as much as this as this is what's required for a 6" to 7" drop

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you on stock suspension? It tough to tell but it looks like you have a fair amount of rake right now. I’d recommend starting with some shackles in the rear. They’re under $100 and a couple hours to install.

An oem air dam might look better too. Right now the white fiberglass looks like it’s hung out to dry down there. I’m curious what the ground effect kit looked like?

Chprater

Reaction score
It’s all stock right now. Here’s a picture from a few years ago. I still have the ground effects they just need to be painted and the steps redone and I may put them back on one day.

Chprater

Reaction score
It’s all stock right now. Here’s a picture from a few years ago. I still have the ground effects they just need to be painted and the steps redone and I may put them back on one day.

I mainly took them off because it was rusting the fenders underneath them and I had to replace both bed sides and front fenders.

Chprater

Reaction score
X2.

I would take the decals off and switch the hood out too. And the front lip. But thats me. Looks like a clean truck nonetheless.

I'm 4/6, I wish I was 5/7.
No decals. That’s paint. It was a Kustom kreations truck so I painted it back similar to how it was. My dad bought the truck when it was a year old and he passed 17 years ago the paint is sentimental to me and it’s a well known truck in the area so it’s not going anywhere.