camper top

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used Snug tops all my life. Never had a issue. Absolutely the best topper you can buy. I have one on my 89 and its 25 years old. It's finally had it and I'm gonna dump it for $100 bucks. Back then I paid $600 bucks for it. It's totally crappy built compared to today's camper shells.
Beat to hell people still want 2-400 for them. Hell I may do $50 just to get rid of it

My Ford had a snugtop. 2800 bucks. I ended up getting a different one that had side doors and barn doors n the rear. So I put my original snugtop on a buddy's Ford who was coming back from Afghanistan and his parents told me that was what he was gonna buy. I was actually getting ready to sell it but I gave it to his parents to paint and install it on his truck as a present.

I have had great luck with that brand.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Kijiji (ie: Canada's Craig's list). 50 bucks. Went to look at a drop in bed liner and he had this sitting off to the side.

Originally sold as "Atlantic truck cap", but its really a rebranded leer from way back when.

All it really needed was a little bit of fiberglass repair on the rear hatch, re-do the screens and buy new gas struts:

But, I can't leave well enough alone, sooooo....

Added a chsml from a gm mini van.

Guys often call it an "old man cap", but my stuff is always dry and secure and it pops up just enough to allow me to load quads, snowblowers, etc, yet is just low enough to still sneak under the garage door.

When moving stuff, I can pile it right up to the roof without worrying about bits flying off at highway speed.

Great for the dogs too. I added some security bars to the windows (built them out of round stock) and I can leave the windows wide open without fear of dogs pushing their way out.

It also allowed me to make a bed insert that gives me oodles of storage and is even nice and cozy for sleeping:

Added a rear defroster grid (3 dogs fog it up fast!):

Rear camera for hitching and backing was added and some led flashers also:

Flashers were added for plowing, but have already used them in white out conditions on the highway for "please don't run in to me" purposes. They have several flash modes, that's just one of them.

Plans are to also use the truck for ground search when I retire from flying (I use the side by side, wife runs the tracking dogs) so flashers and led work lights are starting to be installed.

I am currently working on a pantograph rear wiper/washer setup since that flat rear window gets dirty FAST in the rain.

Planning to make some overhead storage bins and cloths hangar bars as well as add led lighting strips to replace the one little bulb in the back. Eventually, it will get lined inside with the gray carpet like material new ones come with.

I'm in to it for about 200-250 bucks total with all the stuff listed above. Will color match it one day when/if I ever paint the truck.

Deals are out there, just gotta keep hunting. That is, if you want something inexpensive and practical. If you want something newer and whiz bang slick, you gotta pay the bucks for it.....:(

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
These work somewhat as a wiper. Re-directs air into that negative pressure zone at the rear of the canopy, & reduces the dirt that gets built up by that suction.

You must be registered for see images

The one on my Jimmy had been removed. Not the worst thing the P.O. had done to the truck, but it was up there on the list.

Old school!