cam an valve help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97vortec

Reaction score
I have a 97 1500 truck that Im swapping the 200k+ motor for a (rather) freshly rebuilt 350 from a rolled truck. Since I have the motor setting out anyway I was hoping to do a cam, valve springs & black bear tune maybe? thinking in the 1000 dollar range.. It is a truck but Im not too worried about doing much towing. Maybe looking for more top end instead. Anyone know what cam, valvesprings, etc. would work great for that? also anyone have a similar setup that would tell me what numbers to expect would be great. thanks

NaomiSays

Hot Tamalé!
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
A thousand dollars could get you into a LS motor, so if you're swapping vortecs just leave them stock. View our thread on how to LS Swap in the LS Swap section.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A thousand dollars could get you into a LS motor, so if you're swapping vortecs just leave them stock. View our thread on how to LS Swap in the LS Swap section.

Unles he has a hook up on LS parts $1000 will leave him with alot left to finish the complete swap plus the 411 PCM swap & tune still.

If you wanna stick with the Vortec platform & just add a cam & mail order tune then I'd suggest doing alot of research on here. The link provided above will give you alot of insight into what all is involved in multiple situations.

For me personally a LS swap just isn't in the cards, maybe way later down the road. For now I'm planning some fresh valve springs, RV cam, LT headers, home made CAI, Black Bear tune & standard ignition parts upgrades. It won't be the fastest truck around but it'll serve my daily driver/playing in the mud duties well. It also won't break the bank to do all those mods either.

97vortec

Reaction score
hey sorry i take so long to get back. first of all thanks slippy thats a great thread, not sure why i didnt find it myself. As far as the ls it may be more practical but I forgot to say my reason for wanting this truck is for the 5 spd manual it has. Not having a torque convertor to worry about and liking the sound of it I found a lt4 hotcam on ebay. I thought I would get comp cams 26915 behive springs 787 retainers an 648 keepers. according to one thread that shud give me the clearance to run 1.6 rockers. I was thinking I would just run stock rockers until I get bored and then be able to bolt on 1.6 rollers and go. now Im curious if the stock pushrods are alright to use? no one says much about them. alsowhat does this build sound like? any ideas are great thanks everybody