Buying a truck that needs a tranny rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
How much would you guys pay for a '92 ECSB 4x4 GMC that is in great condition other than needing a tranny rebuild? It actually shifts fine, just doesn't have reverse! They are asking $1595 for it. How much does a rebuild normally cost?

ChevyBoy13

Reaction score
as far as the cost for a normal rebuild goes...i wouldn't know. I'll talk to my buddy see what he tells me.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am assuming your talking about a 700R4 ? If so, when I priced it out for my old 88 k1500, it was around $1800 for a reman one (think it was around there).

I lost reverse in mine too, but still went great forwards. You just need to make sure to park where you can pull straight through. I ran with no reverse for 2 years!

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Haha I just may do the same. It shifts great, just no reverse! However, I found a place near me that will do a rebuild for $850 with a 1-year warranty. Thinking about offering a g for this truck and driving it straight to that shop!

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tell the seller that obviously you're going to have to have it rebuilt and that will cost you $1000 honestly you can find fully functioning trucks for $2500 so I would give them no more than a thousand like you said. How's the motor? Original motor or? When my first tbi motor took a dump and I put in another one, it automatically killed my tranny I lost reverse and had all the other gears. Had to park it on the street for a year and the new motor ($300 craigslist motor) eventually developed a rod knock, it was a terrible experience and without help from my parents I would have lost my truck. Just watch out for your own ass on this one it's not all about the here and now...That motor could very well take a **** soon too if it's as old as the tranny in the truck.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Bought it...runs GREAT and only had 178k on it. Got it for 1000!!! Taking it to have the tranny rebuilt tomorrow. I've owned two TBI GMT400's and this motor sounds and runs perfectly IMO.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought it...runs GREAT and only had 178k on it. Got it for 1000!!! Taking it to have the tranny rebuilt tomorrow. I've owned two TBI GMT400's and this motor sounds and runs perfectly IMO.

Hell yea good deal bro :handshake: Hell, I'm just glad you finally found one and Is that the original motor? These TBI's are something else as far as reliability goes.