Busted clockspring? Airbag light after steering gear change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if this should go here or interior electronics. Anyhow, I did a steering gear swap along with pitman and coupler. Yep. I have the "Air Bag" light on now. Yes, I spun the wheel quite a bit. So did I break the clock spring, which I had never even heard of before today? Does anyone have a part number? Has anyone done this job and have some tips to share?

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m gonna say yeah you likely toasted the spring. One these trucks it shouldn’t be too bad. Unhook the battery (or both of you have two), and go inside for at least 30 minutes. The airbag comes out easily if your steering wheel is orientated 90 degrees from straight-I use a medium flat head and insert into the slots and rotate them to release the pins. The airbag pops out. DONT FORCE THE AIRBAG!!!

Then carefully unhook the airbag and set it in the backseat. Then route the new spring wiring. Be prepared..new ones are pricey. I’d be hesitant with a donor spring unless you know for sure that the wheel hasn’t been spun.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, that's why you're supposed to strap the wheel into place before disconnecting steering shaft on an airbag-equipped vehicle. :( There's only so much wiring that can reel out of the clockspring before it reaches its end and breaks.

Richard

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this part still available though? It's sold out on Rockauto and when I search that part number everywhere else lists it as discontinued. No chance of repairing the old one? This seems like the kind of thing you might not trust off a junkyard vehicle.

And do I understand correctly that I will need to pull the wheel?

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the clockspring is a coil of wire under the wheel that winds and unwinds as you turn the wheel. It provides a possitive connection between air bag and the column. You will need to remove the steering wheel. Most air bag system connectors and will be yellow.