Building my 5.7 and I have a couple questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BadBowtie97

Reaction score
Would anybody be able to tell me why this kit specifies that it is for non-computer applications? Is it because of the cam's lift/duration would throw the computer off or is there something else that I am overlooking, and it also specifies that it is for 96-98 vortecs, this might be a dumb question but did they change anything on the engine in 99? Also has anyone ever used this or a similar kit, I would like to know what kind of luck you had with it, this one seems like a good one as far as the brands that it includes. http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=18785

I also planned on porting and polishing the heads, putting some shortys on it, getting rid of the cats then having the ecm tuned. Would someone be able to tell me who I should go with to flash ecm or is better to go with efi live.

Thanks

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't really tell from the pictures, but the crank probably isn't machined for the crank reluctor to fit on the snout. I would definitely call and ask them, because if that's your only issue, then you can take both cranks to a machine shop and have that corrected in short order. The cam should be fine for EFI, and I really don't see anything that throws a red flag, aside from the 10.4 to 1 compression with 64cc heads. That's pushing it for iron heads with pump gas, and may be more than you want for your application. A thicker head gasket could tame that down, but may sacrifice quench to do it.