Broke my dipstick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phstratton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was trying to get the dipstick tube out and it broke, there's still a piece in there, how do I get it out?
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Can you get some needle noses in there? A pair of hemostats? (Those medical type doctor thingies that tightly clip closed.)

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Hmmm, I would put some heavy grease in the tube then drive one side of it in with a punch.

That will break it loose in the bore and then you should be able to pull/turn it out with needle nose pliers or vice grips.

The grease is to keep metal bits from dropping in the crank case.

Be warned: if it doesn't work out, you can end up with a bigger mess than you started with. But it's how I would do it.....

phstratton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you get some needle noses in there? A pair of hemostats? (Those medical type doctor thingies that tightly clip closed.)

I tried the needle nose but there want enough room, I'll see if I have some hemostats thanks for the idea

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
If you don't want to end up tearing the whole thing down, drain the oil, pull the pan, and punch it out from the inside.

~Via Mobile \,,/

JJHUSSY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd take a punch or a flat-bladed screwdriver, catch the lip and smack 'er with a hammer (at and angle so you don't drive it into the pan). You will now have a ledge to grab with the pliers!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I'd take a punch or a flat-bladed screwdriver, catch the lip and smack 'er with a hammer (at and angle so you don't drive it into the pan). You will now have a ledge to grab with the pliers!

Is there an echo in here?

Lol!

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
What I have been lucky enough to use in the past is a lag bolt. Using a lag bolt with a thick washer, screw it into the dipstick hole as far as you can, then from underneath tap a pry bar on the washer at the head of the bolt. The dipstick tube should come right out. They are just pushed in, and you won't get any shavings or junk into the motor