Brake problem what happened??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'eh, it might be okay, look at the break when you're able to and see if its in the place where the ziptie is, its possible the line could have rubbed up against the tie enough to cause it to break, but it might not, it won't take you all thanksgiving break, maybe a few hours, tops, once you have the replacement line and brake fluid. seriously its just unscrewing the old line, screwing in the new one, and bleeding. it looks like the replacement rubber line is like ~$20 from autozone, the braided steel ones can be around $50-80, IMO they're worth it, but the rubber ones will work fine if thats all you can get, they'll just get old and fail again some day, but my original line I replaced ~2 years ago and it wasn't bad yet, so thats 12 years on the original rubber hose without problems for me.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea i checked the spot and it didnt rub through the line, but maybe it puts extra tension on the line idk ill probably leave it

Im hoping its simple, I dont want to take it to a shop. I hope its not one of the metal lines.

so your thinking maybe at one of those 19's, the #20 hoses
You must be registered for see images

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no #19 is the flair nuts on the hard line, I guess its possible one of them came loose, but unlikely, #17 is actually a rubber line, I think that is what has a break or something in it, they are known for bulging and breaking as they age and the rubber deteriorates. basically all you do to take it off is unscrew both #19's, and #15, and pull the line off, then screw the new one on. the hardest part of it all is bleeding the brakes, but thats not really bad at all either.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
been there and done that. except mine broke going down a big hill. yikes

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
brake fluid is right on the MIN line, what is that small compartment on the front its empty?

is there anything different i have to do for bleeding because of the abs?

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
brake fluid is right on the MIN line, what is that small compartment on the front its empty?

is there anything different i have to do for bleeding because of the abs?

that small compartment is the same as the other one, I really don't know why they did 2 of them, they go to the same place. some MC's like mine only have one big fluid container.

nope, nothing is different for bleeding with ABS.

97sierra

Reaction score
They split the MC for cases like yours, where if you lose a hose you wont drop all your fluid and you will still retain at least some stopping power. hopefully everything went well for ya buddy

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's exactly what happened in my suburban when I blew the rear brake line. It probably sprayed all your fluid on the ground and exhaust when it blew.

Make sure you bleed all the lines, not just the one that blew.