Brake "grinding" Under 10 MPH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've had my truck a good 42 days now, but of course being that is 17 years old things start to act funny. About 4 days ago I was going about 20mph down my street and slowed for the stop sign. Once I got to 10mph I noticed what felt and sounded like a grind. My ABS light has been on even since the PO had it, we both felt that it was just a sensor. But it ran fine before it started this grinding nonsense. I drive the truck to college and back everyday (40 miles roundtrip) and about a 4th of it is city driving with heavy traffic. I also checked my fluid and noticed it was low so I topped it off but no difference was made.

PS: My brake dust is awful on the front driver side. The passenger side isn't nearly as bad.

Any ideas on what it could be? I think it could possibly be the master cylinder.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take drivers side wheel off and check brakes. It could possibly be a sticky caliper

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Inspecting brake conditions is just something you need to learn.

for the front

Run you finger over the rotor, if you feel a lot of ridges, the pedal pulses when applying the brakes or if the whole truck shakes, time for new rotors. If both pads look thin, replace those.

If you see one pad is noticably thicker than the other at the same wheel, the caliper slides are junk, you can pull the bushing out and clean it out, grease and put back together, but it is a temporary fix, I'd just replace the caliper.

for the rear, pull the drum and inspect the shows, if they are thin, any cracking, chips etc, time for new shoes and hardware kit. re-cut the drum.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Grinding is usually associated with worn out pads grinding bare disc metal. First look should be that DS disc and pads. Check the inside of the disc for grooves. Second look would be the other side.