Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Late night annoyed ramblings; I'm overthinking all the wiring I need to do for the tow mirrors on my truck.

I know Boost Auto Parts sells a kit to get the lights to operate dual function as marker/turn signals but there's gotta be an easier and cheaper way; I still need to order replacement mirrors for the damned things too.
@Z71Hobbs, how did you go about wiring yours up?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Only way to do markers and blinkers on the cheap is to understand wiring and how diodes work. They don't take rocket appliances, but the concept is easily lost on the uninitiated. If a relay scares you, then a diode will blow your mind. Still easy enough to drag you through the process against your will over the interwebs though. Cheap enough to **** it up and redo it until you get it right.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Late night annoyed ramblings; I'm overthinking all the wiring I need to do for the tow mirrors on my truck.

I know Boost Auto Parts sells a kit to get the lights to operate dual function as marker/turn signals but there's gotta be an easier and cheaper way; I still need to order replacement mirrors for the damned things too.
@Z71Hobbs, how did you go about wiring yours up?

I’ve got most of the details in my build thread. If you want..I’ll sell ya the boost auto kit cheap.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only way to do markers and blinkers on the cheap is to understand wiring and how diodes work. They don't take rocket appliances, but the concept is easily lost on the uninitiated. If a relay scares you, then a diode will blow your mind. Still easy enough to drag you through the process against your will over the interwebs though. Cheap enough to **** it up and redo it until you get it right.

A single diode isn’t bad..multiple ones is where it got fun for me. Honestly the hardest part for me was figuring out which diodes to buy..and I had a couple bad ones. Always test them before using them.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just used one to control a relay, not carry actual current. I feel it'd get more complicated making a diode do actual work.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I’ve got most of the details in my build thread. If you want..I’ll sell ya the boost auto kit cheap.

I might take you up on that offer. I'll need to figure out a way to send you money though, I don't have a paypal or anything set up.
I'll take a look into your build thread, I'm just so ****** annoyed when it comes to wiring.

Wiring in general is rocket appliances to me, which isn't good when I look at all the stuff sitting around that I need to hook up into the truck. (CB/Whip, HD headlight harness, 4Hi kit, fog lights and OEM switches, all the trailer wiring, I could go on but it's almost making me sick to my stomach rattling it all off:anitoof:)

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Think of electricity as water. It needs a way in and a way out. It also needs big enough pipes to get there and back.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Think of electricity as water. It needs a way in and a way out. It also needs big enough pipes to get there and back.

I've got what I think are the basics down, power to switch and ground?
It's when all the other **** gets thrown in it gives me a headache.

Speaking of big enough pipes; I think I'm gonna try to do the Big 3 Mod, NAPA sells upgraded battery cables for a couple bucks per section, and my new alternator could use a little help.
I'm kicking myself for not doing the AD244 upgrade, if I'da known I would have to replace the alternator plug I would've gone through with it.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welp. For some reason I've been locked out of my old account, so I guess I'll be posting updates from this new account.

Figured something out with the mirrors; they aren't built the same way the other mirrors are. The lower convex mirrors are held on with screws instead of clips, so I order the clip conversion kit and replacement mirrors from Boost Auto, which means I need to cut the old mirrors open to get them apart.

I think I'm gonna give the diodes a try, I've been researching pretty intensely the past day or two so I think I might be able to take a crack at it.