Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so here's the codes; I don't know why the transmission range switch code is back, it's grounded out.
So, is the pin 71 or whatever it is for the tow/haul (performance mode) grounded to something right now or is it open?

A momentary grounding of this pin is what toggles tow/haul. If is is always grounded maybe the ECM is noticing and throwing the code. I remember you said you had added a wire to the pin, right?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, is the pin 71 or whatever it is for the tow/haul (performance mode) grounded to something right now or is it open?

A momentary grounding of this pin is what toggles tow/haul. If is is always grounded maybe the ECM is noticing and throwing the code. I remember you said you had added a wire to the pin, right?
It's not grounded yet; still open, I'm installing a new turn-signal stalk, I was going to swap in the Tow/Haul shifter and wire it up then.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No good even worse news.

Truck was dropped off at the shop Monday evening running fine, took the shop two days to replace the FPR and do a tune up, now it won't start.

I'm hoping it's the cap and rotor are just bad, I was on the phone with @Mangonesailor having him troubleshoot over the phone.

The urge to sell it is overwhelming right now because I'm frustrated with it, the past two weekends I've tried to work on it and I've been unsuccessful.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
No good even worse news.

Truck was dropped off at the shop Monday evening running fine, took the shop two days to replace the FPR and do a tune up, now it won't start.

I'm hoping it's the cap and rotor are just bad, I was on the phone with @Mangonesailor having him troubleshoot over the phone.

The urge to sell it is overwhelming right now because I'm frustrated with it, the past two weekends I've tried to work on it and I've been unsuccessful.
Where's that thumbs down button on here? Definitely applies here.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No good even worse news.

You do realize broken trucks don't bring good money right?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From the outside looking in - it seems like your problems started at 411 time. Maybe switch back to the black box?
Truth be told, the only problems I've had when it comes to the 0411 are a a couple of codes I can't get rid of, the truck runs (or ran) great before I dropped it off.
I have put some thought into it sometimes though.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm confused, was there some time in between the shop having it and not starting? Otherwise how could a shop work on something, end up with a non-running truck, and be all like, we're done, please pay us, and oh yeah, it doesn't run now, sucks to be you.

What's a "tune up"? Seems like the most likely cause would be something they touched. Did they possibly pull the distributor and then try to "set the timing" like it's a 1978 HEI?

I think the easiset thing to start with would be to verify fuel pressure, since they obviously opened that up.