Bleeding a clutch master and slave cylinder problems on a 1990

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spistols

Reaction score
I put on a new clutch master and slave cylinder in my 1990. The problem was the clutch depressed all of the way as if it were attached to nothing when I went to put it in gear.

I looked under the truck and noticed fluid leaking around the slave unit pretty bad. No problem, so I changed that out. Then when I started to bleed the system it still felt horribly bad meaning no pressure. I noticed brake fluid leaking from the back of the clutch master, so I changed that as well.

Now I go to bleed the system, and pump up the clutch at least 200+ times, I get no movement of fluid out of the clutch master cylinder and no pressure whatsoever. I tried gravity bleeding the slave, by leaving the slave bleeder open and nothing- I did this for about 12 hours.

Any ideas on how to bleed this system, or am I missing something?

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Open the hood and locate the clutch master cylinder, located on the firewall. Remove the cap from the master cylinder and fill to the maximum mark with new brake fluid.

Use a vacuum brake bleeder.

Attach one end of the clear tubing to the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder. Insert the unattached end of the clear tubing into the empty bottle ( I usually fill mine about half full).

Have an assistant sit in the vehicle and press the clutch pedal to the floor. Using a metric wrench, loosen the bleeding screw on the slave cylinder. Use vacuum bleeder. Tighten the bleeding screw after the clutch fluid ceases to flow from the slave cylinder. DON"T LET THE RESIVOIR GET EMPTY!!

Repeat Step 5 until air bubbles are no longer visible in the clear tubing, when the fluid is flowing through the tubing.

Tighten the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder and remove the tubing from the bleeding screw.

Fill the clutch master cylinder to the maximum mark with new brake fluid. Attach and tighten the cap on the master cylinder reservoir.