Black Oil coming down from torque converter or engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is big leak. It leaks maybe a quart of oil in twenty min. The thing is that my actual oil is really clean and the trans fluid is clear so I don't know why this stuff is black

Oil can look like honey on the stick (Clean) And appear dark or blacker when you drain the crankcase... Quart in twenty minutes is a lot of oil, wash and clean it off and then get a fresh start and see where it is coming from, All of the above mentioned is possible. But that much oil would not take long to look like it is coming from everywhere =/

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I took the intake off and got rid of some liquid gasket in the back between the block and the intake

Unless you put a new rubber seal there, instead of rtv gasket sealant, you have now forced yourself to remove the intake again and put that seal back.. that deal has to be there or you will leak out more oil then the Valdeze.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The rubber seal has not been used on the intake manifold for over 30 years as per GM. RTV is the proper way to seal the front and rear of the intake manifold.
Point is, he "removed" "liquid gasket" but doesn't say anything about what he replaced it with--if he replaced it at all.

Most folks I know would rather use The Right Stuff by Permatex (Urethane) than RTV Silicone.

Even with no seal at all back there, I wouldn't expect a quart in twenty minutes. That sounds like an oil pressure switch or sending unit.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Point is, he "removed" "liquid gasket" but doesn't say anything about what he replaced it with--if he replaced it at all.

Most folks I know would rather use The Right Stuff by Permatex (Urethane) than RTV Silicone.

Even with no seal at all back there, I wouldn't expect a quart in twenty minutes. That sounds like an oil pressure switch or sending unit.

MY point is you don't use the rubber gasket. Lately there lots of newbies coming on here and asking for advice and they don't seem to have much mechanical experience. I was only pointing out what not to so.
There is little difference between RTV and Great stuff. The only advantage is the Great stuff claims immediate return to service and in the application being discussed this is a moot point. Super black has a higher temp range than GS (500 degrees to 450 degrees). GS has a lower temp range than Super black(-75 degrees to -65 degrees)neither is enough to put one above the other. It is all personal preference
The leak is most likely the rear main seal in my opinion.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whether you call it right stuff, silicone, rtv, or whatever I call it schmutz.

Maybe he didn't get enough schmutz on the china wall. lol

Probably it's the intake leaking under the "first place to look is the last place you worked premise" or bumped the intake into the sending unit. It's rare that the rear cam plug leaks, but it does happen.

Really should have done the rear main seal while there.

DanielPace27

Reaction score
Hey guys I took off the intake and sure enough the whole oil leak was coming from the back of the intake manifold. Sorry for the new question. I'm used to newer cars that have a full intake gasket instead of just the sides. I will post once I have it running. Another question I don't know if my alternator voltage regulator is working can someone tell me what the voltage at the alternator clip connection is?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I normally check across the battery terminals with the truck running. You should see 14.5-14.8 volts with it working properly.