Black Oil coming down from torque converter or engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanielPace27

Reaction score
So I have black Oil coming from where the engine mates to the transmission. I took off the transmission and then replaced it recently I just don't want to drive around till I figure it out any ideas??

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Distributor gasket?
Oil pressure sending unit next to distributor?
Valve cover gaskets?
Rear main seal?
Oil pan seal?
Rear oil passage pipe-thread plugs?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
How much oil? a steady drip while running or just wet/damp? Any of the things that Schurkey listed plus the possibility of the rear of the intake leaking oil were the RTV seals it to the block

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just be happy that leaking oil isn't chartreuse in color.

As Shurkey said, here's your options:

Distributor gasket?
Oil pressure sending unit next to distributor?
Valve cover gaskets?
Rear main seal?
Oil pan seal?
Rear oil passage pipe-thread plugs?

It was probably leaking oil before you pulled the trans, now you've noticed it because the trans is (hopefully) clean.

DanielPace27

Reaction score
It is big leak. It leaks maybe a quart of oil in twenty min. The thing is that my actual oil is really clean and the trans fluid is clear so I don't know why this stuff is black

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also I took the intake off and got rid of some liquid gasket in the back between the block and the intake
Unless you seal it back up with rtv, or the like, you have now forced yourself to remove the intake again and put that seal back.. that deal has to be there or you will leak out more oil then the Valdeze.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Unless you put a new rubber seal there, instead of rtv gasket sealant, you have now forced yourself to remove the intake again and put that seal back.. that deal has to be there or you will leak out more oil then the Valdeze.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The rubber seal has not been used on the intake manifold for over 30 years as per GM. RTV is the proper way to seal the front and rear of the intake manifold.