Best way to fool O2 sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you click the link I posted @ the top of this page, it tells you what you need to do. This works. My truck has had the 02 simulators on it for well over a year with no cats, and never had a CEL.

andfern97

Reaction score
Im not going to say that I approve of this, nor will I name any names of possible people I know, but if you leave the rear O2's after the cats out of the exhaust pipe, and expose them to constant fresh air... I dont know, like attached to an open area under the frame, that the O2's will recognize the difference from the front o2 sensors and wont kick a code due to the computer thinking the Cat is working.... just something I have seen done with certain OBDII vehicles... .

Something similar to this I have seen done is using two spark-plug defoulers screwed onto each other and putting the o2 sensor in on top of the defoulers. This does is essentially the same thing, putting the sensor far back enough from the exhaust stream so that it detects cleaner air, but it still keeps it inside the pipe so it's not exposed. Just google 02 sensor spark plug defouler trick

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a pic to guide you. CLICK THE LINK IN THE POST ABOVE IT EXPLAINS ABOUT THE HONYCOMB, AND WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO MAKE THIS WORK..
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

big green96

Reaction score
Mine is 96 5.7 same as O.P
I've tried the spark plug fouler still got CEL, Never tried putting anything in it but I came across a cheaper alternative online than the simulators as long as the o2heater still works went to
Radio Shack picked up 2 ea (1for each side)
microfarad cap 272-1055
mega ohm resistors 271-1134
Around $5 3yrs still no CEL mine is wired like the top but the bottom supposed to work as well (haven't tried)DIY at your own risk, pic may not work new here never tried

big green96

Reaction score
I didn't "engineer" this just found it and tried it
It worked for mine, not my pic but wired the same