Best long tube headers for the vortec 5.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FusionX

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to buy Longtube headers and redoing my exhaust since the current one exits under the cab and drones horribly. What is the most recommenced brand I should buy? I was looking at Pacesetter Headers but i am looking for opinions for More hp and torque. I have a 96 5.7. If that helps at all.

FusionX

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would you recommend? Would Pacesetter be a good choice?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
I think the Pacesetters would be a solid option, but the OBX headers can be had for much cheaper

GMstrong

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying that about the 1.75 primaries.If you run 2-2 1/4 piping i doubt youll lose torque.There was a guy on another forum that had the obx headers and ran 3" piping true duals no cats or mufflers and on a k2500 lifted 6" with 37 tires said that it felt way better from 1200-redline.And thats with 3" piping that overkills to say the least.It really depends on what your putting it on like his truck weighed and easy 6000lbs.Either way they are way better then manifold and shorty headers.

FusionX

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good. I plan on getting the long tube headers with 3 inch pipe with new cats no mufflers and 3.5 inch tips out at 45's.

GMstrong

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if your doing true dual DO NOT use 3" piping,like i said its overkill to say the least.Use 2 1/2 at the most.Thunder bolts or flowmonster are good cheap cats.Also just throwing this out there,I have had true dual straights no or mufflers with shorty headers with the 2 3/4-2 1/4 piping i didnt notice any loss of low end torque I do alot of hauling had 1500 pounds in the bed didnt have any problems going up good size grades,I had 2 55 gallon drums filled with heating oil and 1 33 gallon filled and a oil tank plus a washer.500 for each filled 55 gallon drums and 300 for the 33 gallon,plus the oil tank(good 250lbs plus the sludge at the bottem) and the washer.

Last edited:

FusionX

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engine is stock for now. I do plan on getting a cold air intake and tune down the road sometime though. That sounds good GM I will just stick with 2.5 inch piping with new cats plus the longtube headers.