Best Distributor and ones to avoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a cheap coil from Oreilley's and then ordered an Accel from Summit Racing ($55 IIRC) just to see how it works out. I've heard so many folks say AC Delco or nothing else. Anyway, so far the Accel is working fine, and I still have the spare just in case.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This was the stock gear that was on my distributor. A couple of the teeth were nearly as sharp as a razor. It had a misfire at cruising speeds on the highway.

You must be registered for see images attach

luconi

Reaction score
I picked up a world power systems distributor from Rockauto when I redid my top end. It has an aluminum body and seemed to be really well made. Works like a charm and I only paid $79 for it.

Reaction score
Who owns "Blue Streak" now? Used to be Standard Motor Products.

The last Blue plastic/brass contacts cap and rotor I bought DON'T have "Blue Streak" anywhere on the products or the packaging--just "Standard Motor Products".

SMP, and especially their high-end "Blue Streak" line used to be top-quality. Now a lot of it is Communist Crap.

I saw a notice on the Hayden web site that they're now associated with Blue Streak.

Aluminum shaft? No.

Steel shaft, aluminum housing.

This one? (7.4L)
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...d-rotor-new-t1878/10435878-P?searchTerm=T1878

Or this one? (5.7L)
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...d-rotor-new-t1829/10435878-P?searchTerm=T1820

Looks like a partially-machined cast aluminum housing, NOT "billet".

9362 is for small-blocks.

9361 is for 7.4L.
T1829 is the one I purchased, can’t really tell with parts store pic cause they all look alike, mine is machined from top to bottom and I paid like 125$. They could have changed suppliers who knows

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A week ago I put the SMP tech smart Distributor in my 98. Seems ok, I bought it because it is supposed to be made in USA. It is the plastic OEM style but $100 cheaper than the Delphi one. I have a barely used Delphi cap/rotor i am considering installing because the aftermarket ones tends to be junk. Plugs get Delco , steering box redhead/blue top.
Yes i have a 98 c1500 with the v6.. Smp tech smart distributor.. Whats that about.. And steering box what's redhead /blue top what is that

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have questions I have a 98 chevy c1500 and I hate having to change the cap all the time how can I upgrade my distributors completely to get away from this problem any suggestions.. Like upgrading the it and completely replacing it..