Best chemical to clean the 5 spoke alloys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I think that chalky look comes from the factory clear coat or anodizing going bad. The best way to eliminate it, is to strip that off and clean the wheel, then repaint the clearcoat. @kennythewelder has done that on his '97 ecsb, he has a thread on it on here.
But that is time consuming, so the simpler thing would be a good degreaser or wheel cleaner and a scrub brush. Some aluminum wheel cleaners will etch the metal, so you need to read the label and directions closely.
I've had good results with Brasso liquid on chrome bumpers and the brush guard and tailgate on my crew cab, and on the stainless steel trim rings and chromed plastic center caps. But I haven't yet tried it on aluminum wheels (since my Burb is currently in front of my shop building which is not where I live). Brasso liquid doesn't have much grit in it, so it might be worth a try? Not too expensive either.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The white, chalky, water deposit is probably your clear coat degrading. Any metal polishing compounds will try to remove it as the clear is softer than metal. That is why GM cautioned to use proper cleaning instead of polishing compound.
I have seen a few that had the wheels stripped and high polish on the aluminum looked good, but then your back to regular upkeep. Good luck!

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Contains what might be some relevant info.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Initial cleaning i use Alumabright. Then Flitz polish.
Alumibrite is good for bare for bare Aluminum.

After talking with guys that polish aluminum on big rigs, my polish of choice is white rouge mixed with kerosene making a consistency/paste that suits me. Those guys can get a mirror finish on any aluminum. Open a tub or bottle of almost any metal polish and you can smell the petroleum distillates. Mothers billet polish isn't much more. Of course, billet or sheet will always polish nicer than cast and generating some heat while polishing helps.

Last edited: