Best 8 inch wheel trim rings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jess t

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 87 down 15 x 8 inch truck rally wheels on my 92 Silverado. What trim rings is best for them and where do I get them? jess

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I ran the wheels you're talking about with the regular GMT400 trim rings and thought they looked just right. Obviously a matter of personal taste! They're only slightly different from the rings that come with those wheels.

The original trim rings for a 15x8 truck Rally are wide and cover over the "step" in the hoop of the wheel. To me it's an old school look and for a newer truck seemed a little out of place. They look good, but it wasn't my taste, and also I was missing a couple of them.
You must be registered for see images attach

I went with the regular GMT400 trim rings which are a little narrower. Also ran an Astro van center cap which to make them fit correctly takes spending a few bucks; they use the regular externally threaded lug nuts from a 400 but you have to use the early black plastic lug caps from 89-90 because they're deeper and get enough thread engagement that the caps won't fall off. I guess some have made them work with the more common 91-up lug caps but they didn't feel secure to me.

Sorry for the giant pics, figured it would be best to show the slight difference in them.

Richard

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I like the skinny ones too. Ran those on a couple square bodies I had many years ago.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Amazon has beauty rings. I’m a fan of astro van caps ;)
rally’s look better on gmt400’s more than square bodys to me. Just a timeless look with wide tires and a small drop.

Jason778

Reaction score
I ran the wheels you're talking about with the regular GMT400 trim rings and thought they looked just right. Obviously a matter of personal taste! They're only slightly different from the rings that come with those wheels.

The original trim rings for a 15x8 truck Rally are wide and cover over the "step" in the hoop of the wheel. To me it's an old school look and for a newer truck seemed a little out of place. They look good, but it wasn't my taste, and also I was missing a couple of them.

I went with the regular GMT400 trim rings which are a little narrower. Also ran an Astro van center cap which to make them fit correctly takes spending a few bucks; they use the regular externally threaded lug nuts from a 400 but you have to use the early black plastic lug caps from 89-90 because they're deeper and get enough thread engagement that the caps won't fall off. I guess some have made them work with the more common 91-up lug caps but they didn't feel secure to me.

Sorry for the giant pics, figured it would be best to show the slight difference in them.

Richard

Richard, what size are the trim rings in the second pic? DO you happen to have a link? I have 15x8 Rallys for my GMT400 and Im having a heck of a time getting my hands on the correct rings that look and fit like these and sit just inside that step.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Richard, what size are the trim rings in the second pic? DO you happen to have a link? I have 15x8 Rallys for my GMT400 and Im having a heck of a time getting my hands on the correct rings that look and fit like these and sit just inside that step.
Those are the regular trim rings that came on the 15" GMT400 steel wheels. They only made two sizes - 15" and 16" - and only one width.

Richard

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I am actually shopping around for new 15" trim rings for my 77 Monte Carlo also.

They come in 2", 2.5" and 3"

The ones in the pics above look like 2" and only cover the outside wheel weight area. 8" wide wheels can fit 3" rings. I like the wide chrome trim look.

These are the ones that I have been leaning towards for the Monte. They are full stainless steel not chrome plated plastic like the cheaper ones.

Jason778

Reaction score
Thanks Richard, do you happen to have a GM part number to reference? There are many different types of 15" rings that say they are compatible with that application but I'm trying to make sure I get the right ones before I order. I'm wondering if they are 2"

Jason778

Reaction score
I am actually shopping around for new 15" trim rings for my 77 Monte Carlo also.

They come in 2", 2.5" and 3"

The ones in the pics above look like 2" and only cover the outside wheel weight area. 8" wide wheels can fit 3" rings. I like the wide chrome trim look.

These are the ones that I have been leaning towards for the Monte. They are full stainless steel not chrome plated plastic like the cheaper ones.

Yes, I actually have 3" now and I think they look great on the Monte rallys but on the truck style rallys the deep rings seem to partially block the holes around the inside of the wheel diameter and just don't appear to fit right.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No idea on the part #. You're talking seriously obsolete parts by now anyway, the only market I'm aware of would be the used market. Hit up a boneyard, FB marketplace, craigslist.. again, in this particular style there's only one choice in 15", and one in 16". They look the same other than diameter.

They look good to me because they have that stepped edge instead of the curve, looks somewhat more modern than the older, wider trim rings - plus on the 8" squarebody Rally wheel, it goes perfectly to the first step in the lip of the wheel.

Richard