bed repair w/pics..please help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
So I was out checking cows today for my friend and I parked on a minimum maintence road by the pasture. It took about 15 minutes and when I came back to the truck a road grater had stopped next to it..didnt think anything about it until I got closer realized that my truck was leaning.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

It popped the rear tire, tore off the tailpipe exiting behind it and shattered the tail light (just smoked em yesterday)..luckily I have the originals. Does anyone know the best way to repair this kind of damage. A new panel from LMC is 400 bucks. any input would be great..thanks!

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why don't you try to go after whoever it was operating the road grater. No reason you should have to pay for someone else's negligence

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
I did...my uncle is actually his boss and apparently the company does not pay for the operator's mistake. I'm goin to talk to my lawyer tomarrow and see what he can do..hopefully it'll all be paid for but i'd still rather do all the work myself.

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
Talked to the lawyer and the dumbass operating the road grater decided to cave because he doest want a suit. $400 for new bedside panel, $150 for new tails, $180 for a new tire and $240 for new exhaust plus all the supplies to paint the new bedside. Pretty happy with the result but still need suggestions as how to repair this. Should I just replace the entire bedside or weld in a replacement panel to the damaged area? The work is not a problem cuz i'm going to do it myself but looking for the best route. Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
I understand why you would like to do this yourself to save some cash but a bedside is not an easy task for someone without any collision experience. that being said you would want to replace the complete bedside scabbing in a patch would be way more work and an improper repair.and as far a an aftermarket bedside from LMC those things are like pepsi can metal compared to factory and not always the best stamp.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
glad you got some money. definitely put a new bedside imo and only a genuine gm.

right side panel 6.5' fleetside costs $729 from gmpartsdirect.com. if you cant do that hit up the local junkyards for a used one if you wanna find one cheap.

they should have given more than 400 for the bedside but looks like you made out better in the other areas, good luck man.

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice gents. I replaced my rocker panels, wheel wells, bed floor and one door skin so I think i'll be okay replacing it myself. My friend owns a body shop and he said he'd help for a small liquid fee so I may take him up on that. Going to scoop out the yards around here and see if I can find a used bedside or possibly a stepside bed, if I can get it at a decent price. If not the gm parts direct replacement will be great buy...imo it's worth the extra cash to get a good, quality piece. People ask me why I would spend so much repairing a 15 year old truck but as you all know, they're like our children. I'm sure you will agree.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Definitely stay away from repro body pieces, they are junk. Either replace the whole bed or change the bedside. I suck at bodywork so !'d be the lazy ass that changes the whole bed and color matching it. Hope it turns out good for you either way.