bad rust damage on bottom of doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdoggystyle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have some pretty ugly rust damage on the bottom of my drivers side and pass. side and 3rd door. the panel behind my drivers door is fine. what i was wondering was do you guys think its cheaper to go to a salvage yard and pull some decent doors and then get them painted when i get my whole truck redone or take the truck to a shop and have the rust repaired and then paint my truck. ill get picks soon as i can if it will help.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Even bodyshops don't want to repair rust these days. I'd find some good used ones.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I was in your shoes 2 weeks ago. I replaced both doors. Lucked out and found some with the same color interior, but they were a different color exterior. Doors go for $100 around here.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most body shops if its really rusty will tell you there not worth fixing and to find a good used set.

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my family has owned a body shop for 30 years. repairing the doors properly is the best fix. all used doors will have some corosion stated in them and the seams are not sealed. what we do is cut the lower door skin off and make a new one. then paint both sides with por 15. well it is still wet we put the patch on and crimp the seam. once dry we weld the joint and coat inside and out of the bottom. do body work and paint this it holding up better then the factory and we have done it alot. we are tripling the life of superduty doors.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
my family has owned a body shop for 30 years. repairing the doors properly is the best fix.

I wish we had body shops like yours around here. Most places i went to laughed at me when I said I wanted a quote.

jdoggystyle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
my family has owned a body shop for 30 years. repairing the doors properly is the best fix. all used doors will have some corosion stated in them and the seams are not sealed. what we do is cut the lower door skin off and make a new one. then paint both sides with por 15. well it is still wet we put the patch on and crimp the seam. once dry we weld the joint and coat inside and out of the bottom. do body work and paint this it holding up better then the factory and we have done it alot. we are tripling the life of superduty doors.
where u located

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^awesome truck, welcome.

Personally I'd pull off some clean oem doors if I could, just piece of mind starting fresh.