bad leak and oil pressure spike!!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive been seeing a small leak under my truck over the past few months....i dont drive it every day. so ive gone under it a few times and cant find a leak. i know its oil. today i decided to take another more indepth look. when i started the truck and let it warm up i found that the oil filter was spitting out oil very bad. i tightened the filter. and restarted the engine, again it leaks oil around the seal of the engine oil filter.

i also noticed the oil pressure gauge is at around 60 instead of 30. and the engine temp is rising slightly over 210 also. recently i changed the rotor and cap....i dont think that has anything to do with it right? i know the leak was there before i changed them,

any ideas here guys its winter and i need the truck to plow!! i need to fix this....its dumping so much oil out while idleing i cant drive it....

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Uhm 60 is definantly better then 30 and it's probably because the filter was loose so it wasn't getting enough pressure. Change the filter out. and it will crep up above 210 sometimes until the thermostat opens

K3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes it is a 4wd.

i tightened the oil filter. my truck has ben runnning those levels since i bought it in august. now the other day its levels are all sky high and its spitting oil out around the oil filter housing bad. its not leaking around the oil filter adapter and the engine block.

im hearing the oil pressure relief valve could be hung up?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
First I would get a new filter and a gasket for the adapter. Even if you think the adapter isn't leaking its a cheap gasket and then you will know for sure.