Audio Ideas (Sorry long read)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcal73

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm a new guy here and am currently in the process of planning the audio portion of our truck build.
She is a 1993 ECSB Z71 that I have owned since 1995.
She goes into paint in a few weeks and will get new carpet and sound mat treatment while we have her torn down.
I have no fear of electrical work, that's what I do in the heavy truck industry.
I want to do this once and I don't mind spending good money on good products.
I know it's not popular, but I want to keep my stock radio/equalizer setup.

Can you audio gurus tell me if this would be a good sounding and lasting setup?

I'm thinking of buying this radio to have an external input.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171202006725?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

These are the speakers I'm looking at
Infinity 426.11cfp
http://www.amazon.com/462-11cfp-Infinity-Series-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B00FP3IKW2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This sub box
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/2395094/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

With this sub
Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-12
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P3SD4-12-Shallow-Subwoofer/dp/B009VTDT0O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This is the Amp I was thinking of getting to run the whole thing
Rockford Fosgate P1000X5
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P1000X5-5-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00BF6HZ8S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Sorry for the long read and any ideas will be appreciated!

Thanks!
Jeff

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I am not sure if there is a write up on here for the older radios, but for the newer ones there is a tutorial on installing an external input on them. You may want to search that out before spending $$ on that eBay unit. I am sure if you can solder, you could install your own.

I have owned Infinity speakers in the past, and they sound pretty decent, however the green poly cones crinkled up and basically bio-degraded on my Kappa series components I had years ago. ( like 10 years ) This was about 2 years after installing them, so they were short lived. I don't think they use that material any more, so they should be fine, but I just wanted to relate my experience with them.

As for the sub box, I highly doubt they are going to achieve 0.90 cu ft with MDF construction. I have a roto-molded plastic enclosure ( a MTX thunderform ) that is around 0.90 cu ft, and it touches the seat bottom when in place. Also, there is only 4 3/4" mounting depth in the MTX.

If they are quoting 6" mounting depth, either the driver is mounted at less of an angle than the thin MTX thunderform, and they have hogged out behind where the magnet goes, or I am thinking you might have to raise your back seat.

As far as the sub, I haven't run any simulations on it, and have never had any direct experience with Rockford's products, but I know a transducer engineer at Alpine, and some of their products are quite good in the bang for the buck department.

If you want to mount the amp behind the rear seats, you run into the problem of the amp interfering with the back seat folding up and staying up. I can barely get mine to work with a very thin 1RU rack mount pro audio active crossover hanging behind the seat.

You could toss the factory tool box, but I chose to keep mine and mount small amps under each seat. Alpine PDX series. If you chose to mount them under the seats, I can give you some pointers, you have to fabricate some brackets to do so.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Here is a few pictures of what I ended up with: ( in the fab / fitting stages )

You must be registered for see images

jcal73

Reaction score
Can you solder? If so, you can easily do that yourself by splicing into the wiring between the cassette/EQ deck and the receiver. It only needs a switching 3.5mm jack and an optional toggle switch.

Yes I can. I saw something about that but was unclear on how to do it.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
I plan on purchasing speakers from PartsExpress.com when I redo the audio in my Mustang, you may want to take a look for speakers

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
The components you've picked out should sound awesome.
I have the same sub box and it is large enough. The rear seat will sit right on top of it. The mounting depth listed isn't correct, but with the RF sub, that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

jcal73

Reaction score
The components you've picked out should sound awesome.
I have the same sub box and it is large enough. The rear seat will sit right on top of it. The mounting depth listed isn't correct, but with the RF sub, that shouldn't be a problem.

Do you have any pictures of the box installed?
Thanks
Jeff

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
It looks like it could be made a little longer. It's pushed all the way to the drivers side.
Now that I have an in-bed tool box, I may move the jack to the tool box and buy a dual 10" box for under the rear seat.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry, my truck is a little dirty inside and out.

jcal73

Reaction score
It looks like it could be made a little longer. It's pushed all the way to the drivers side.
Now that I have an in-bed tool box, I may move the jack to the tool box and buy a dual 10" box for under the rear seat.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry, my truck is a little dirty inside and out.
Thanks that helps a ton!
What sub are you running?
With three kids my truck needs a bath all of the time.