Anyone put a Cam in their OBS? How hard is it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im probably getting a 220 cam. doesnt seem like to bad of a cam for a dd

Bama2door

Reaction score
Seems like a little more than I want to deal with at the moment to be honest, I forgot about all the extras you have to add up too...but thanks for all the good info on it guys, I appreciate it. Do any of y'all have vids of your trucks with cams? Also if I were to get one, I would need it to be able to work with the stock torque converter, because those things are expensive and expensive to get installed...my buddy who put the cam in his NBS has a ton of work/time/money into it...

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Seems like a little more than I want to deal with at the moment to be honest, I forgot about all the extras you have to add up too...but thanks for all the good info on it guys, I appreciate it. Do any of y'all have vids of your trucks with cams? Also if I were to get one, I would need it to be able to work with the stock torque converter, because those things are expensive and expensive to get installed...my buddy who put the cam in his NBS has a ton of work/time/money into it...

Not really when you think about it. A brand new S10/Blazer converter would stall at 2000-2200rpm and be less than $200. It's easier to swap that than a cam swap too. Plus with any kind of aftermarket cam that is along the lines of what you want you'll need a higher stalling converter. Honestly I'd do that before digging into the engine. A higher stalling TC will do wonders for performance.

Edit: the only videos I have are cruising and from when I had a converter going bad on me. Probably don't want to see that lol.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't forget - proper cam break-in is critical.

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
first off if you have done it on any non over head cam motor, then you should be able to do this, but remember its major surgery, the intake must come off, all the accessories, and prolly the front radiator support if you want to put it in while the motor is in the truck. but its isnt any harder then the newer trucks, just make sure you dont drop a lifter or anything.

and here is a video on break in procedure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23sYBHH9fUA

Hogg

Reaction score
Not really when you think about it. A brand new S10/Blazer converter would stall at 2000-2200rpm and be less than $200. It's easier to swap that than a cam swap too. Plus with any kind of aftermarket cam that is along the lines of what you want you'll need a higher stalling converter. Honestly I'd do that before digging into the engine. A higher stalling TC will do wonders for performance.

Edit: the only videos I have are cruising and from when I had a converter going bad on me. Probably don't want to see that lol.
My L35 V6 TC stalls to about 2800 rpm at WOT in gear, rear tires not spinning at all. My truck is a stock longblock L31, marine intake, LT headers PCM tune.
I really like my L35 V6 TC. ABout 400rpm less rpm drop during WOT rpm shifts. MUCH better acceleration during theshifts.

peace
Hog

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a cam question. i would like to get a cam in my 97. vortec 350 5 speed trans. my question is what are my options? i dont care about milage but i would like a real aggresive sound/ ide and decent performance. and specific cams? part numbers? anything would be great help. thanks guys!

GTOken

Reaction score
I'm half way through pulling the intake and heads for gasket replacement. I plan on putting a better cam in since this little 5.7 has been a dog from day one. I was thinking the LT1 or LT4 cam. Anybody have one cheap? I need to find out what springs I need. I know I will need to do some machining on the valve spring seats. I think CompCams sells the tools for DIY'ers. I will look into that. thx.