Anyone knows what this looks like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

anyone recognize this by look

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Looks like some kind of in-board boat engine. I wouldn't go by what the valve covers say. Looks like they aren't original, but I might be wrong. GM big blocks are 8 bolt valve covers.

Edit- After looking at it again I'd say with 95% certainty it was a marine engine. The shut off valve is a dead give away. And those are some extremely short valve covers.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If that's a marine engine, some, maybe not this one, have a gear to gear timimg 'chain', which means that they have a reverse rotating camshaft. Probably a specific distributor, too.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with the above about it being a marine motor, but it also look's very similar to the 366 big block that came in a lot of the heavy duty truck's.

chen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
for two hundred buck what do you guys think?

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
If that's a marine engine, some, maybe not this one, have a gear to gear timimg 'chain', which means that they have a reverse rotating camshaft. Probably a specific distributor, too.

Gear to gear doesn't mean reverse rotation. Idler gears see to it that the rotation remains clockwise. And most gear to gear covers are deeper and wider than that one.

for two hundred buck what do you guys think?

I wouldn't. Marine engines are beat to death and then decommissioned. They are generally higher compression and require premium fuel. Because of their application they see TONS of idle and WOT, not much in between. The coolant passages are almost always corroded to the point of disrepair due to the dirty water they are cycling.

Balzer

and Mean Girl *truck*
Reaction score
Tall deck industrial big block engine. If it was a marine engine wouldn't It have marine water jacket exhaust manifolds? By the looks of it with the tall heater hose outlet and straight up oil dipstick I would guess it came from a cabover truck. I would guess a GM W-series or Izuzu N-series truck.

Like this one

Now that I posted that pic and seen the yeller behind it it could be from a small bus too....

from wiki The 366 Big block V-8 (6.0 L) gasoline engine was used only in Chevrolet Medium duty trucks and in school buses. It had a bore of 3.935" and a stroke of 3.760". This engine was made from the 1960s until the mid-1990s. The 366 used 3 compression rings on the pistons as it was designed from the very beginning a truck engine. The 366 was only produced as a tall deck engine with a 0.400" taller deck than the 396, 402, & 454 short deck big blocks.

Last edited:

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking it was set up for propane other than that I don't know.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Is that a crossover tube in front of the water neck? I Googled it(and I'm sure others did as well) after my first post and there were 366 big block GM motors used as marine engines. They were also used in a ton of heavy duty slugs for almost a half century. It was NOT a performance motor nor did it have much potential to be used as such and it doesn't seem to have any kind of aftermarket following. You would have to pay me to remove it from your yard, no way would I give money for it. Heavy, slow, doesn't rev, no speed parts readily available. Wouldn't even be a good buggy or mud truck motor. Pass on it and look for an old 455 or Caddy 500 if you want something different and cool.