Anyone install a roots supercharger on a 1997 l31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
L31, as in Vortec 5.7... plus a roots blower? Good luck.

There was only a 6 year run for the Vortec heads over the 47 years of the life of the mouse motor, so there would need a lot of R&D to put together a kit for trucks only.

It would need to be OBD2 compliant and would need to include a computer controlled injection system.
Then there would need consumer demand for multi-hundred or thousand units to be sold to recoup the cost of development.

I think that's why centrifugal blowers are more common for the later trucks.

And I'm saying this with a NA Vortec 5.7 Yukon and a roots Whipple TBI 5.7 step-a-side P/U in my driveway.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Both of the truck positive displacement superchargers have been long out of production. Magnacharger and Whipple both made one. Whipple still makes the intercooled EFI L31 marine kit though.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the Marine whipple. Would require alot of customization. It would require an 0411 running batch fire and single bank fuelig as well as custom fabrication to get an air intake mounted to it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Deburr427

Reaction score

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will definitely be watching that one. His buy now is a bit steep given the condition from the marine environment, then again these are rare as hens teeth so probably worth a chunk of change provided it is useable or atleast rebuildable.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A Roots 122? Is it just me or does that seem small for a 5.7L engine?

(edit) Evidently the Magnuson is not the traditional "Roots" blower, but improved...

Last edited: